- Volunteer shifts available M-TH 3PM to 6PM
The High School 21+ (HS 21+) program allows colleges to grant high school diplomas to individuals that are 21 years or older. Goodwill helps students choose and enroll in a HS 21+ program that is the best match for them personally and academically. Goodwill provides individualized support to each HS 21+ student. The support may include:
- Obtaining and reviewing high school transcript
- Identifying work/life experiences (prior learning) that may qualify for high school credit
- Matching students with HS 21+ programs that match students educational and personal needs
- Assisting with scholarship and financial aid applications
- Managing credits toward a high school diploma
Position Description: HS 21+ is a new program with huge potential. Goodwill is looking for qualified tutors to help HS 21+ students work towards their diploma. Tutors will be matched with a student, or small group of students, and will meet on a consistent basis. Tutors will support students by offering academic support, as well as helping to navigate portions of the HS 21+ process.
- Review checklists (provided by supervisor) with each student to ensure all prior learning experience has been identified. Prior learning experience will be documented by the student, typically by writing a paper, to demonstrate competency in a given subject area. Tutors will support students throughout the writing process.
- Preparatory work before tutoring sessions: identify current lessons from Center Manager and/or GED Instructor and create examples/activities (role playing, practice exercises, reading materials, etc.) based on the given lesson plan.
- Provide guidance and academic support (math, writing, etc.) to individuals working towards their high school diploma.
Reports To: Center Manager and GED Instructor, varies by location.
Essential Qualifications and Competencies:
- Strong academic skills in one or more of the following: math, writing
- Previous teaching/tutoring/mentoring experience preferred
- Comfortable working with individuals who may be in crisis or facing multiple barriers to success
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Reliable, punctual and consistent
- Patient, understanding, and caring
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- GED math tutor needed!
- Math, reading, and writing tutor...
- GED test prep tutor
- Tutors needed for math, reading,...
- Jewelry Department - small...
- Open Computer Lab Assistant
- Support youth in math, physics...
- Career Lab Assistant - help...
- Instructor's Aide ESOL
- Lunchtime conversation...
- Math + English tutors needed!