Jewish Family Service (JFS) is a premiere social service agency with over 50 programs and services
open to the entire community. Volunteers help us serve over 30,000 individuals each year!
Title/Position: Citizenship Teaching Assistant
Program: The Immigration Program at Jewish Family Service offers Citizenship
and Naturalization Services to lawful permanent residents throughout San Diego County. JFS staff
completes and sends the N-400 (application for Citizenship) or N-600 (application for Citizen
Certification) and offers classes to assist applicants prepare for the Citizenship Interview,
English, and Civics tests.
Goal of Position: The Citizenship Teaching Assistant is meant to help the Citizenship
Instructor in preparing lawful permanent residents for the civics (U.S. history and government) and
English (reading, writing, and speaking) components of the naturalization test.
* Equip students with the skills to pass the civics and literacy portions of the Citizenship Test
* Create meaningful cultural exchange and develop intercultural communication skills
* Attend at least one citizenship class a week and act as classroom aide
* Teach off-site or additional citizenship classes as needed
* Develop an individual plan for each student, and monitor and update student’s plans
* Assist Citizenship Instructor in teaching students by utilizing engaging and innovative
* Design and produce teaching supplementary materials and adapt existing materials
* Attend Citizenship Education related meetings
* Communicate regularly with Citizenship Instructor and Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
regarding student updates and progress
* Remain up-to-date regarding naturalization application process and USCIS materials
* Assist Citizenship Instructor in completing required reports and maintaining student files
* At least one year experience working with ESL students or teaching citizenship to adults
* Ability to motivate and support students
* Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
* Sensitivity to needs of low-income and culturally diverse client population
* Computer literacy
* Flexibility with class schedule; willingness to travel to various locations throughout San
Diego county as needed
1. Must be at least 18 years of age
2. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
3. Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator and
4. Attend a JFS orientation with the Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
5. Must provide own transportation to off-site classes
6. Submit to an online background check at VerifiedVolunteers.com
7. Must honor confidentiality of client records and sign privacy & confidentiality agreement
Ideal candidates are able to complete one full citizenship class, which is currently 10 weeks.
Various - Mostly City Heights, National City or El Cajon neighborhoods and JFS campus.
JFS Immigration Services Program
8788 Balboa Avenue San Diego, CA, 92123
Immediate Supervisor(s): Citizenship Instructor; Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10 Weeks
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Experience Career and Employment...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant