Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Immigration Program at Jewish Family Service offers Citizenship and Naturalization Services to lawful permanent residents throughout San Diego County. JFS staff completes and sends the N-400 (application for Citizenship) or N-600 (application for Citizen Certification) and offers classes to assist applicants prepare for the Citizenship Interview, English, and Civics tests.
Goal of Position:
The Citizenship Teaching Assistant is meant to help the Citizenship Instructor in preparing lawful permanent residents for the civics (U.S. history and government) and English (reading, writing, and speaking) components of the naturalization test.
- Equip students with the skills to pass the civics and literacy portions of the Citizenship Test
- Create meaningful cultural exchange and develop intercultural communication skills
- Attend at least one citizenship class a week and act as classroom aide
- Teach off-site or additional citizenship classes as needed
- Develop an individual plan for each student, and monitor and update student’s plans
- Assist Citizenship Instructor in teaching students by utilizing engaging and innovative teaching methods
- Design and produce teaching supplementary materials and adapt existing materials
- Attend Citizenship Education related meetings
- Communicate regularly with Citizenship Instructor and Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator regarding student updates and progress
- Remain up-to-date regarding naturalization application process and USCIS materials
- Assist Citizenship Instructor in completing required reports and maintaining student files
- At least one year experience working with ESL students or teaching citizenship to adults (preferred)
- Ability to motivate and support students
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Sensitivity to needs of low-income and culturally diverse client population
- Computer literacy
- Flexibility with class schedule; willingness to travel to various locations throughout San Diego county as needed
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator and Immigration Attorney
- Attend a JFS orientation with the Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
- Must provide own transportation to off-site classes
- Submit to an online background check at VerifiedVolunteers.com
- Must honor confidentiality of client records and sign privacy & confidentiality agreement
Ideal candidates are able to complete one full citizenship class, which is currently 10 weeks.
Various - Mostly City Heights, National City or El Cajon neighborhoods and JFS campus.
JFS Immigration Services Program
8788 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA, 92123
Immediate Supervisor(s): Citizenship Instructor; Immigration Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 10 Weeks
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Volunteer ESL Instructor
- Lunch Service Table Captain
- Pro-Bono Legal Services Needed
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Volunteer Accounting Clerk
- St. Paul's Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Military Distribution Lead
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Merchandising & Stocking...
- Public Transportation Navigator