Help make a difference in your community and volunteer to teach GED prep classes! Volunteers needed at our Garden Street Family Shelter. We offer free GED prep classes to the parents at our shelter to help them pave a pathway to success and self-sufficiency.
- Attend initial training to understand both The Salvation Army's mission and programs and the requirements of the position.
- Prepare lesson plans for Math, English, Science and Social Studies subject areas.
- Provide group and individual instruction sessions.
- Assess participants areas for development and provide tutoring sessions to help enhance their skills
- Actively encourage consistent attendance
- Basic English, math, social science and computer skills needed
- Knowledge of best teaching practices
- Ability to communicate with diverse population
- Pleasant manner, patience, problem-solving ability & dependability.
Please apply on our volunteer opportunities website:
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of a shift a week
- Child Care Assistant
- Help People Sign Up for Seasonal...
- Harvest Festival Helper
- Kitchen Assistant
- Help Distribute Christmas Toys...
- Computer Literacy Instructor
- Worship Band Members
- Administrative Aide
- ESL Teacher
- Thanksgiving Food Distribution...
- Guitar Instructor
- Resume Workshop Instructor
- Help with USDA food distribution
- GED Instructor
- Food Pantry Assistant
- Emergency Disaster Team Volunteer
- Bingo Assistant
- After School Program Tutor
- Fitness Instructor