Are you interested in working with a fun, diverse and very appreciative group of adults? If so, the Salvation Army is seeking English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers.
We offer adult learners free ESL classes out of two locations in Alameda County:
- Chinatown Corps- - fluency in Cantonese or Mandarin preferred
- Garden Street Corps- fluency in Spanish preferred
Date and time needed are flexible for all locations.
- Attend initial training to understand both The Salvation Army's mission and programs and the requirements of the position.
- Plan a curriculum with steps for teaching the English class.
- Actively encourage consistent attendance.
- Superb writing, editing and speech skills
- Knowledge of best teaching practices
- Ability to communicate with diverse population
- Pleasant manner, patience, problem-solving ability & dependability.
Please apply on our volunteer opportunities website:
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of a class a week
- Child Care Assistant
- Community Garden Volunteer
- Senior Exercise Instructor
- Kitchen Assistant
- Computer Literacy Instructor
- Worship Band Members
- ESL Teacher
- Financial Literacy Workshop...
- Employment Readiness Workshop...
- Part-time Chaplain
- Beginner Piano Instructor
- Help Serve Food for our Senior...
- Positive Parenting Workshop...
- Sunday Night Community Dinner...
- Food Pantry Assistant
- Resume Workshop Instructor
- Volunteer Pianist
- Fitness Instructor
- Administrative Assistant