Are you interested in working with a fun, diverse and very appreciative group of adults? If so, the Salvation Army is seeking English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers.
We offer adult learners free ESL classes out of three locations in Alameda County:
- Tri-Cities Corps- fluency in Cantonese or mandarin preferred
- Chinatown Corps- - fluency in Cantonese or mandarin preferred
- Garden Street Corps- fluency in Spanish preferred
Date and time needed is flexible for all locations.
- Attend initial training to understand both The Salvation Army's mission and programs and the requirements of the position.
- Plan a curriculum with steps for teaching the English class.
- Actively encourage consistent attendance.
- Superb writing, editing and speech skills
- Knowledge of best teaching practices
- Ability to communicate with diverse population
- Pleasant manner, patience, problem-solving ability & dependability.
Please apply on our volunteer opportunities website:
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of a class a week
- Child Care Assistant
- Senior Exercise Instructor
- Kitchen Assistant
- Computer Literacy Instructor
- Worship Band Members
- ESL Teacher
- Summer Camp Assistant Instructors
- Help with USDA food distribution
- Food Pantry Assistant
- Emergency Disaster Team Volunteer
- Bingo Assistant
- Bike Mechanic
- After School Program Tutor
- Ceramics Instructor
- Fitness Instructor
- Administrative Assistant
- Arts & Crafts Instructor