Tutors will be helping elementary students with homework and during scheduled lesson plans. Volunteers must be able to commit to at least a day a week.
Tutors needed in three locations:
- The Salvation Army Garden Street Corps, Oakland - Tuesday and Thursday from 3p.m. to 5p.m.
- The Salvation Army Hayward Crops, Hayward -Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays from 3p.m. to 5p.m.
- The Salvation Army Tri-Cities Corps, Newark- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00p.m.
- Supervise and tutor elementary school students
- Help to enhance the students reading and math skills
- Work and relate well with people of diverse ages and backgrounds
- Maintain proper Child Safety procedures
- Ability to use appropriate positive discipline consistently, handle security and crisis situations calmly, sensitivity to children’s individual needs
- Actively encourage consistent attendance
- Attend initial training to understand both The Salvation Army's mission and programs and the requirements of the position.
Please apply on our volunteer opportunities website:
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- minimum of a day a week
- Child Care Assistant
- Senior Exercise Instructor
- Kitchen Assistant
- Computer Literacy Instructor
- Worship Band Members
- ESL Teacher
- Summer Camp Assistant Instructors
- Help with USDA food distribution
- Food Pantry Assistant
- Emergency Disaster Team Volunteer
- Bingo Assistant
- Bike Mechanic
- After School Program Tutor
- Ceramics Instructor
- Fitness Instructor
- Administrative Assistant
- Arts & Crafts Instructor