VCAS is an open entry, municipal animal shelter serving various cities in Ventura County as well as all unincorporated areas of the County. VCAS currently holds a No-Kill status and has since January 2014. We are looking for passionate, dedicated, self-motivated volunteers to help us continue our mission of keeping Ventura County No-Kill. All volunteer positions are key in our achievement of this worthy mission, and for maintaining it as well.
Dog Squad Animal Care Volunteers work directly with shelter staff and other volunteers to enrich the lives of our shelter dogs, help to get our dogs adopted into well-matched homes, and ensure the day-to-day shelter operation & animal care is achieved at the highest possible standard of care.
Dog Squad Animal Care Volunteers:
- Walk dogs on site for 15-20 minute potty breaks
- Provide enrichment for shelter dogs using programs such as Canine Confidence, Dog Playgroups, Kong Program, K9 Nose Work, Puzzle Toys, Scent of the Day...etc
- Take Dogs to offsite adoption events for greater visibility
- Act as Adoption Ambassadors: show dogs for adoption, adoption counseling, pet promotion team, canvassing fliers, Hound on the Town program, etc
- Provide basic care for shelter dogs including laundry, kennel cleaning, grooming, socializing...etc
- Community outreach programs - nursing home visits, pet pantry, Pit Crew, etc.
- Must love dogs!
- Be 18 years or older, or accompanied by a legal guardian at all times if under 18
- Must be able to comfortably lift 45lbs, bend, twist, and kneel
- Able to stand for extended periods of time (Shifts are a minimum of 2 hours)
- Be able to commit to at least one, scheduled, 2-hour shift per week
- Attendance at mandatory on-site training
- Must agree to check email regularly and read all emails from Volunteer Manager
- Ability to follow rules and adapt to fast changing environment
- Patient and positive attitude at all times! We have a YES culture!
All VCAS volunteers receive specialized training, mentoring and support!
To find out more, or fill out an application visit us online at www.vcas.us/volunteer
- Program Management
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 hours per week for 6 months
- Youth under the age of 18, MUST be accompanied by a parent who is also a volunteer.