The Allay Happy Tails program offers the opportunity for volunteers with *certified therapy animals to visit with hospice patients. Animal-Assisted/Pet Therapy Teams (pet & handler) are paired with patients within or near their own community.
Pets have a special way of showing unconditional love & affection to lift the spirity no matter what - especially for those in hospice...
- Pet therapy can reduce anxiety and pain symptoms, lower blood pressure, ease depression, and relieve boredom and loneliness.
- Pets bring joy and encourage social interaction, particularly for those who are starting to withdraw from other activities.
- Contact with furry companions is especially meaningful to patients who are no longer able to care for thier own beloved pet.
The amount of time you give is flexible and scheduled around your availability.
*While many animals provide love and companionship in the home, not all animals have the temperament suited for this type of service. We require that all teams are currently registered or certified to provide animal-assisted/pet therapy.
*If your pet has already been trained as a therapy animal, you are well on your way to joining our Happy Tails Team!If not, we can provide the resources to help you get started.
- Hospice Care
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Animal Therapy
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- flexible, scheduled around your availability
- currently registered or certified to provide animal-assisted/pet therapy