ONE YEAR OF FULL TIME SERVICE WITH HABITAT FOR HUMANITY NYC INCLUDES:
- Living stipend of approximately $1,200 per month
- Additional rent stipend of $400 per month
- Monthly Metro Card
- Limited medical plan if you choose to enroll
- Gain experience with hands-on training
- Sponsored week of travel to build at a Habitat affiliate (Build-a-thon)
- Educational grant award of $5,500 available upon completion of service
- Relocation Allowance
The member serving in this role will be part of the AmeriCorps team that will give the necessary boost to significantly increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through new construction projects.
Construction Crew Leaders work with our volunteers to build homes and complete projects by demonstrating the skills required, providing safety instructions and clean-up directions, and orientating and inspiring the volunteers on our mission and goals during our morning meetings. Each member’s role impacts the overall volunteer experience and quality of work, and supports the overall goals of the mission, specifically helping us to serve more families and communities.
A secondary goal of this position is to have at least 1 volunteer trained to be a skilled volunteer group leader for our general construction program.
We view the construction crew leaders as integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area.
Responsibilities of the position
- Construction crew leaders will perform basic framing, drywall, tile flooring, trim work of molding and baseboards, priming and painting.
- Crew Leaders will lead and train volunteers and family partners in the completion of Habitat-NYC projects which could include tasks like tiling, painting and hanging drywall, and framing.
- The Crew Leader will promote team building and provide guidance to volunteers in the pursuit of high quality service and personal development for the members.
- The Crew Leader will lead volunteers in the engagement of onsite educational training on affordable housing issues in NYC. They will model an ethic of service to Habitat- NYC and the larger community and learn about housing issues relevant to the NYC affiliate.
- Construction Crew Leaders will be trained in construction skills and tool maintenance.
- The Crew Leader will be expected to make efforts to enhance the volunteer experience by providing an orientation and training on the worksites for volunteers. The leader will also be expected to continually monitor the worksites for safety compliance, as well as to model safety procedures.
- The Crew Leader will be responsible for ensuring that all waste is removed from worksites in a timely manner, as well as perform set-up/break-down duties, which could include the delivering and unloading of supplies at the warehouse.
- From time to time, crew Leaders may be needed to support our Critical Home Repair/Aging in Place or Brush with Kindness projects to lead volunteers in the painting and completion of a project as and when needed.
- This position will serve primarily in Brooklyn or Queens but may be utilized on other construction projects in areas such as Staten Island.
- The expectation is that each member will receive an average of a 95 % satisfaction rating on the daily site evaluations completed by volunteers who have served on the work sites.
- Monitor the worksites for safety compliance and model safety procedures. Maintain site safety through modeling of safety practices and guidelines, volunteer education, and site monitoring. Attend safety trainings with our construction staff.
Required Meetings, Trainings and Events Minimum expectations are outlined below, with the understanding that further trainings may be required as determined by HFHI, CNCS or the Host Site.
- On Site Orientation to local host site
- First Aid/CPR
- HabitatLearns "Foundations of Habitat" series
- Lockton Safety Courses
- National Service Leadership Conference (fall)
- Build-a-Thon (spring)
- National Days of Service (MLK Day required, 9/11 Day of Remembrance and AmeriCorps Week encouraged)
- HFHI Host Site Monitoring Reviews and periodic check-in calls
- Monthly meeting with HSM (minimum)
- Bi-weekly meeting with direct supervisor (minimum)
- Life After AmeriCorps training (LAFTA)
- Staff meetings, Construction Committee meetings, Board meetings and home dedications, as appropriate
- Annual staff/AmeriCorps team build day
- Individual and/or group professional development trainings may be available based on AmeriCorps interest, HSM/supervisor recommendation and budget
- Host Site Events, including our Habitat House Party (October), Women Build (November), and others as necessary. *Participation in these events will be in line with AmeriCorps program regulations/restrictions
Education/Experience/Knowledge/Skills required for this position
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements
- Ability to drive large pick-up trucks
- Previous experience as a construction AmeriCorps member or with a residential homebuilder preferred
- Experience with power tools preferred
- Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable
- Basic experience with Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook preferred
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Knowledge of community development practices preferred
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
- Physical requirements for this position
- Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions - sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Kelly Rossiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- People Skills
- Home Repair
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Full time service for 10.5 months