This role supports the New York City Be The Match Walk+Run Local Organizing Committee. The mission of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) is to provide local support in the fundraising and promotion of the Be The Match Walk+Run event. It is important for each market to have a strong LOC to help broaden the reach of the event. This internship provides the opportunity to experience first-hand the many facets of operating a fundraising event following a national template within the New York City market.
Home-based, New York City
* Assist with Walk+Run event operations including: data entry, list development, LOC meetings, and other efforts based on the direction provided by the Development Manager.
* Communicate with past/former Walk+Run team captains to encourage their team’s participation and fundraising for the 2018 event.
* Recruit new participant teams for the 2018 event and encourage team fundraising utilizing Be The Match Walk+Run participant team fundraising tools.
* Assist with the event sponsorship program, primarily through ensuring the fulfillment of sponsorship benefits: acknowledging gifts, updating websites and collateral with sponsor logos, providing information to sponsors for their own internal company campaigns.
* Research potential sponsors and in-kind donations by soliciting area businesses via email, telephone, and in person.
* Act as Secretary for all LOC meetings and send out meeting notes to all members within 2-3 business days. (LOC meetings typically occur evenings and weekends.)
* Assist with coordinating the Walk+Run Kick-off community engagement event.
* May fulfill an LOC Chair role in the absence of another volunteer.
Development Manager, Liz Neihart
* May 2018 - October 2018
* Must volunteer a minimum of 120 hours
* Flexible working hours, with some evening and weekend commitments
Qualifications and Requirements:
* Must be enrolled at an institution of higher learning. There is a 6-month grace period post-graduation. The internship can be for class credit, but that is not required.
* Must be willing to work from a home-based office environment connecting remotely with supervisor.
* Able to travel locally within the city to meet sponsors, volunteers, and staff.
* Self-motivated, strong interest in nonprofit work and belief in community service, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
* Lifting boxes and supplies may be required as part of preparing for event and promotional opportunities.
Receive an orientation and work under the direction of the Development Manager. Develop time management, writing and communication, leadership, and project management skills. Gain knowledge of fundraising and event logistics.
The National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) and Be The Match (BTM) is the global leader in providing marrow, PBSC, and umbilical cord blood transplants to patients with leukemia, lymphoma, and other diseases. The nonprofit organization matches patients with donors, educates health care professionals, supports patients and their families, and conducts research so more lives can be saved.
Be The Match Walk+Run Overview:
Be The Match Walk+Run is a fundraising event that helps patients with blood cancers like leukemia find a marrow donor and receive a life-saving transplant. Every four minutes someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. It can happen to anyone at any time. But so can a cure - a marrow transplant. The cure for blood cancer is in the hands of ordinary people. Most of us won’t have a marrow donor in our family and Be The Match matches volunteer marrow donors with patients who need them.
The Be The Match Walk+Run (5K, 1K, and Tot Trot) raises funds to: add more volunteer potential marrow donors to the Be The Match Registry, giving more patients hope for a cure; help patients with uninsured treatment costs; and support continued marrow transplant research.
- Public Relations
- Strategic Planning
- Community Outreach
- Event Planning / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Ideally May thru October; 120 hours minimum
- Flexible working hours with some evening and weekend commitments; Available to attend Oct. 6th event
- Be The Match Walk+Run Chicago
- Be The Match Gala Committee
- New York Be The Match Walk+Run...
- Special Event Sponsorship Intern
- Charlotte Be The Match Walk+Run...
- Case Management Service Intern
- Biorepository Service Intern
- Be The Match Walk+Run Service...
- Special Event Auction Intern
- Be The Match Walk+Run Program...
- Education and Outreach Service...
- Patient Services Programs Intern
- Long Beach Be The Match Walk+Run...
- Be The Match Walk+Run Minneapolis