REGIONAL BOARD OF DIRECTORS - SOUTH FLORIDA MEMBERSHIP DESCRIPTION
In order to further the Read to a Child mission, regional board members generously volunteer their time, funds, ideas, and expertise to the organization. Specifically, members work to raise the profile and reach of the organization by engaging other corporate leaders and donors to support the organization’s work. The regional board is comprised of between four and fifteen members and includes a Chair, Vice Chair, and Clerk. Members serve two-year, renewable terms. The regional board is an advisory entity, while the national Board of Directors holds legal responsibility for fiduciary oversight.
Read to a Child is a centralized national nonprofit organization, headquartered in Boston, MA and operating programs in five locations: Boston, Connecticut, Detroit, Los Angeles, and South Florida. The organization is governed by a national Board of Directors comprised of business and education leaders from across the country. The organization is led by a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is joined by staff members at headquarters and in all field locations. At minimum, a part-time staff member (the School Coordinator) works on-site at every school where Read to a Child operates its lunchtime reading program.
Lunchtime Reading Program
Read to a Child’s flagship lunchtime reading program matches a business professional with a schoolchild for a rewarding, read aloud experience during the child’s lunch break. The program provides a straightforward mechanism for citizens to become engaged in educational outcomes for students, increasing children’s prospects for becoming healthy, productive members of society.
Regional board members will:
- Make a meaningful annual personal contribution to support local programming (minimum amount $500).
- Raise significant funds to support Read to a Child programming each year.
- Act as an advocate and community spokesperson for Read to a Child.
- Attend regional board meetings to advise Read to a Child staff on strategic plans, budgeting, marketing, and other organizational business.
- Participate as a lunchtime reading program mentor if at all possible.
- Board members allow Read to a Child to use his or her name, title, and company affiliation on letterhead and publicity materials.
- Strategic Planning
- Grant Writing / Research
- Donor Management
- Literacy / Reading
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Two year renewable terms.