Garden Assistant Volunteer - Salinas
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where342 Front StSalinas, CA 93901
Do you have a passion for promoting nutrition with young children? We have a wonderful volunteer opportunity for a gardening enthusiast to serve as Garden Assistant in Salinas and Chualar.
Migrant Head Start and Migrant Early Head Start both have a mission to eliminate the causes of poverty by empowering low income individuals and families to achieve self-sufficiency through a wide array of community-based program and actions. The CAPSLO (Community Action Partnership of SLO County, Inc.) farm to preschool interventions achieve this mission through providing opportunities to children to play in the dirt and deepen their connection to their food supply through a hands-on garden curriculum.
This volunteer position involves partnering with the nutrition team, local center staff, and going out into the community to support outdoor classroom activities with preschoolers. You also get to participate in hands-on gardening activities with the providers, teachers, and children. The Garden Coordinator and Garden Assistant will be supported by local staff and use lessons learned from other counties. Helpful background (but not required) is any training or experience in nutrition, local food supply, community outreach, environmental science or sustainable agriculture. Ages served include infants to preschool age.
Primavera MSHS - 24228 Lincoln St. Chualar, CA 93925
Salinas CDC - 342 Front St. Salinas, CA 93901
San Jerardo MSHS - 24495 Calle El Rosario Salinas, CA 93908
Garden Coordinator Responsibilities:
- facilitates development of the different gardens at Head Start sites
- assesses and prioritizes needs of those gardens with the Nutrition Specialist
- help gather resources from community partners
- works with Garden Assistants and garden helpers bringing time and talents to the gardens
- works with center supervisors and care providers to incorporate the outdoor classroom into the children’s routines and activities.
4-5 hours per week during the growing season. During off season, less than 3 hours per month or as needed.
- Must pass background check
- Provide TB clearance, MMR, Tdap
- Two references related to community volunteering or childcare
Locaciones: King City, Soledad y Greenfield
Responsabilidades del Coordinador de jardín:
- facilita el desarrollo de los diferentes jardines en los sitios de Head Start
- evalúa y prioriza las necesidades de los jardines con el especialista en nutrición
- ayuda a reunir los recursos de socios de la comunidad
- trabaja con auxiliares de jardín y ayudantes de jardín con lo que el tiempo y talento a los jardines
- trabaja con los supervisores de centros y proveedores de atención para incorporar el aula al aire libre en las rutinas y actividades de los niños
- Debe pasar revisión de antecedentes
- Proporcionar un espacio libre de tuberculosis, MMR, Tdap
- Dos referencias relacionadas con el voluntariado en la comunidad o guardería
- Child Development
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment