Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
Refugee & Immigration Services (RIS) resettles refugees and asylees from around the world. RIS helps arriving refugees adjust to their lives in the US by assisting them in finding employment, learning English, navigating public institutions, and more. To address the cultural adjustment difficulties facing newcomers, JFS offers many volunteer opportunities to accommodate the growing need.
Goal of Position:
Translate documents as needed for Refugee Resettlement staff members or work under direction of immigration attorney to interpret in-person or telephonic correspondences with clients.
Languages in need:
- Arabic, Farsi, French, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Amharic, Somali, Burmese
- Help refugee and immigrant families access urgent and necessary services
- Create meaningful cultural exchange and develop intercultural communication skills
- Translate various immigration documents from a second language to English or vice versa
- Attend meetings between clients and department staff while acting as an interpreter
- If possible, transport clients to outside appointments and act as a linguistic liaison / interpreter
- Fluent understanding of written English and a second language * Must be responsible, committed, self-motivated, enthusiastic, organized, self-efficient
- Able to communicate with non-English speakers
- Must be compassionate, caring, and culturally sensitive
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Must be an organized individual that follows directions well
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with RIS Volunteer Coordinator
- Attend a JFS orientation with the RIS Volunteer Coordinator
- Must honor confidentiality of client records and sign confidentiality agreement
Ideal candidates are able to make a minimum of 2-3 hours per week for a minimum of 4 months.
Scheduling is coordinated between the volunteer and staff. The position is on-call.
Jewish Family Service, Refugee & Immigration Services Department
6160 Mission Gorge Rd. #207
San Diego, CA 92120
Refugee Resettlement Staff