Jewish Family Service (JFS) is a premiere social service agency with over 50 programs and services open to the entire community.Volunteershelp us serve over 35,000 individuals each year!
Title/Position: Translator / Interpreter
Program: Refugee & Immigration Services (RIS) resettles refugees and asylees from around the world. RIS helps arriving refugees adjust to their lives in the US by assisting them in finding employment, learning English, navigating public institutions, and more. To address the cultural adjustment difficulties facing newcomers, JFS offers many volunteer opportunities to accommodate the growing need.
Goal of Position: Translate documents as needed for Refugee Resettlement staff members or work under direction of immigration attorney to interpret in-person or telephonic correspondences with clients.
Languages in need:
- Arabic, Farsi, French, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Amharic, Somali, Burmese
- Help refugee and immigrant families access urgent and necessary services
- Create meaningful cultural exchange and develop intercultural communication skills
- Translate various immigration documents from a second language to English or vice versa
- Attend meetings between clients and department staff while acting as an interpreter
- If possible, transport clients to outside appointments and act as a linguistic liaison / interpreter
- Fluent understanding of written English and a second language
- Able to communicate with non-English speakers
- Must be compassionate, caring, and culturally sensitive
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Must be an organized individual that follows directions well
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with RIS Volunteer Coordinator
- Attend a JFS orientation with the RIS Volunteer Coordinator
- Must honor confidentiality of client records and sign confidentiality agreement
Ideal candidates are able to make a minimum of 2-3 hours per week for a minimum of 4 months.
Scheduling is coordinated between the volunteer and staff. The position is on-call.
Jewish Family Service, Refugee & Immigration Services Department
6160 Mission Gorge Rd. #207
San Diego, CA 92120
Refugee Resettlement Staff
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Computer Lab Specialist
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Food Pantry Downtown needs You...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Share your Knowledge, Talent,...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed...
- Serve Lunch to Older Adults at...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Food Pantry needs your help to...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Cyber Cafe: Volunteer with Older...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Nonprofit needs Reception...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant