Beverly Hills Public Library Literacy Program is looking for a few good men and women who are ready to make a difference and gain the rewarding experience of helping someone learn to read! Click 'I want to help' button above or call 310.288.2207 for more information.
Volunteer literacy tutors for our one-on-one tutoring program are needed to help adult students become more confident and independent by developing and improving their literacy skills, including basic reading, writing, speaking, and comprehension.
Volunteer tutors must:
- Be 18 years or older. No previous teaching/tutoring experience necessary
- Be courteous, personable and patient
- Complete the 2 hour tutor training workshop scheduled on the last Friday of the month
- Commit to volunteer for a minimum of 6 months and to meet with an adult student at least once a week during this period
Based on the tutor and student’s schedule preferences, Literacy staff will help the tutor/student pair set a weekly tutoring schedule. Tutors will be provided with recommended materials and techniques, as well as access to assistance and on-going support from the Literacy Program staff.
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 6 months
- Complete 2 hour in-person training. Meet with student at least once a week.