This particular service program offers students the opportunity to participate in several different service initiatives including teaching and improvement of both the school and dormitory facilities. The experience will provide students with a new perspective on the obstacles that are preventing growth in these rural communities and allow them to practice implementing solutions to these challenges first hand.
A Bright Light Volunteer representative can help you identify the right service project for your group. Some of the current/ongoing service projects include, but are not limited to:
- Improving outside play areas for the children
- Taking care of the children in the daycare center
- Building day care centers
- Creating a vegetable garden on site to grow food for the community
- Building bookshelves for the children's books and play things
- Painting class rooms and community buildings
- Job preparedness training
- English language instruction and practice
Hands-on cultural activities - that are all optional and can be built into your customized itinerary - include tours of the historic downtown Lima and it's many other cultural districts , cooking classes, Spanish language instruction, visiting the local huacas - or ruins - and a day trip to experience the pre-Columbian ruins of Pachacámac. Other special opportunities include a side trip to visit Cusco to tour Machu Picchu.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Improving Shanty Towns in Lima
- Teaching English in Cusco
- Volunteer Needed - Public...
- Marketing Volunteer Needed
- Help us spread the word about...
- Reborn Expedition: Cambodia
- Need Khmer Translation and ESL...
- Out of Isolation: Albania...
- Pura Vida: Costa Rica
- Volunteer Needed: Newsletter...
- Volta Vibrancy: Ghana
- Cuba Unlocked: Trinidad, Cuba
- On the Rhode to Better: Rhodes,...
- Volunteer Needed: Grant Writing...
- Peruvian Perspective: Arequipa,...
- Mundo Maya: the Guatamalan Journey
- Good at powerpoint? We need help!