Volunteers are needed at several Trustees properties in the Charles River Valley to monitor our bluebird nest boxes. Not only are birds very important to our local environment, but they also bring us joy with their vibrant color and beautiful song! This volunteer position requires checking 10 or 20 bird boxes and collecting data about each one. The data will be submitted as part of a national effort to track reproductive success for all North American breeding birds. This information is vital to protecting wildlife in New England and across the continent.
The nest box monitor will make a significant contribution to avian conservation while having the unique opportunity to observe our bluebirds’ nest building, egg laying, hatching, and fledging process.
- ·Monitor bird boxes weekly at one of five properties: Fork Factory Brook (Medfield), Powisset Farm (Dover), Charles River Peninsula (Needham), Rocky Narrows (Sherborn), Cormier Woods (Mendon and Uxbridge)
- Collect data on each bird box with a provided data sheet
- Enter data into Cornell University’s Nestwatch website
- Control House Sparrows as needed
- Clean out nest boxes and report on repair needs at end of season
- Interact with park visitors as needed and answer questions about our nest box program
- Log volunteer hours in a timely fashion
- Good communication skills
- Dress in appropriate clothes and footwear for varying weather conditions: hot and dry, cold or wet, etc.
- Willingness to learn how to properly check the boxes without damaging nests
- Ability to record accurate data using spreadsheet
- Access to a computer to enter data into Cornell’s Nestwatch interactive website
- Knowledge of local birds
- Familiarity with the Charles River Valley properties
At least 2 hours per week for 5 months
Minimum monitoring requirement is approximately 1 hour per week from late March through early August to monitor and an additional 1 hour per week to enter collected data into Cornell’s NestWatch database from your home computer.
Visit our volunteer page to express interest, http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
- Critical Thinking
- Environmental Education
- Animal Care / Handling
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- 2 hours per week, March-August
- knowledge of birds; ability to travel to various properties
- Boat House Steward - Norris...
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Communications Intern - Francis...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Invasive Species Control...
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Horticulture Volunteer - Bradley...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Communications Intern - Bradley...
- Drop-In Tuesday Gardening -...
- Gardening Volunteer - The FARM...
- Nest Box Monitor - Charles River...
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Skilled Trades Volunteer -...
- Painter Volunteer - Weir River...
- Winterlude Festival - Rocky Woods
- Children's Public Program...
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...