The Charles River Valley is looking for several individuals with a background in carpentry interested in undertaking building projects. Individuals should have a basic knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures. The majority of this work will be carried out individually with several opportunities to work on larger projects and assist or lead Trustees staff or volunteers.
This position will be based at Powisset Farm in Dover, the management unit headquarters/workshop for the Charles River Valley. Powisset Farm is a thriving 109 acre farm with an active Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, oak forests, brooks, vernal pools, and wooded wetlands. It is adjacent to the 620 acre Trustees property, Noanet Woodlands.
- Construct/repair trail or farm structures e.g. chicken coop, trail kiosk, sign boards, fences, footbridges, picnic tables, nest boxes, etc.
- Perform structural repairs/renovations e.g. barn siding, trim, doors, office and bathroom renovation, outbuildings
- Assist with design/drawings of bathroom and visitor center renovations
- Keep workshop clean and organized.
- Tuning up or repairing power and hand tools
- Log volunteer hours in a timely fashion
- Knowledge of power/hand tools and an understanding of safety
- Ability to work with tools, lumber, and materials
- Ability to organize assigned tasks, for completion alone or with help
- Knowledge of building structures including but not limited to ceilings, windows, frames, roofs, as well as independent structures (chicken coops) is necessary
- Some experience and ability in reading as well as drawing plans
- Ability to work alone and as a part of a team
- Solid communication skills to update staff on project status and needs
- Traveling to nearby properties will be necessary
Minimum of 10 to 12 hours per month with a 3 month commitment. Flexible schedule. Ideally, volunteer would have some weekday availability to work alongside staff as needed.
Visit our volunteer page to express interest, http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 10-12 hours monthly, 3 month commitment desired
- ability to travel to various properties, if needed
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Bricklayer/Mason - Bradley Estate
- CSA Harvest Crew - Weir River Farm
- Field Assistant Volunteer -...
- Holiday Event Planner - Bradley...
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Children's Public Program...
- Property Ambassador - Governor...
- Property Ambassador - Francis...
- Event Assistant - Haskell Garden
- Carpenter Volunteer - Charles...
- Wednesday Workday Corps -...
- Saturday Drop-In Volunteer -...
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...