Literacy Champion: Book Donation Manger
Open Door Family Medical Centers participates in a national reading program, Reach Out and Read. The mission is to better prepare preschool children living in poverty to enter kindergarten by getting them excited about reading and educating their parent about the importance of reading aloud to their child.
Book donation manager. We receive many book donations and need one or two people to:
- Sort the books when they come in
- Box by books type such as board books for toddlers, easy picture books, picture books, Step-into-Reading, easy chapter books & older chapter books.
- Occasionally pick up books drives from our health centers or other locations in Westchester.
The book storage is located at Ossining Open Door. The other health centers are located in Sleepy Hollow, Port Chester, Mt. Kisco and Brewster. Books for our Brewster location can be delivered there or left at our Port Chester site for a staff member to bring.
- This would be a great volunteer position for two or three friends to take on!
- You need to be in good physical condition.
- The book storage is in the basement, so would not be great for someone with many allergies.
- Volunteer would need to use their own vehicle.
- Book sorting and drop offs would be your choice of day(s) Monday - Thursday, between 9:30am - 5:00pm
- Complete an online Volunteer Application and if accepted, part 2 of the online Volunteer Application.
- All volunteers 18 years and older will have a background check performed by Open Door
- Medical requirements:
- Provide documentation of a physical exam and PPD Test (TB) not older than 12 months
- Provide an immunization record or documentation of blood work for titer levels
- Provide documentation of the seasonal flu vaccine
- Sign a Hepatitis B form
- Have two reference forms completed and submitted directly to Open Door
- Complete an online volunteer orientation.
- Complete an online safety post-test and a volunteer orientation post-test.
- Sign a Volunteer Service Agreement and Pledge of Confidentiality.
- Volunteers agree to serve a minimum of 20 hours in a 12 month period.
Please contact Alicia Ward, Open Door Volunteer Coordinator with any questions: email@example.com / 914-502-1468
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- varies; 3 hours or more per week