Open Door needs 2 volunteers to read with preschool children and work on coloring sheets while their mother participates in a parenting class.
The parent will be either in the same room or just nearby.
We will provide training in bringing a book to life for the children and how to be interactive with the story.
Volunteers need to enjoy working with young children.
- To provide an environment to allow the mother to participate in the parenting program
- To encourage children to enjoy books and reading, to better prepare them to become Kindergarten Ready. This is part of our Reach Out and Read Program, a national literacy program.
- Coloring sheets often have targeted messages such as nutrition, wellness and self-esteem.
Time: Mondays: 11:30am - 12:30am
Location: Port Chester Open Door, 5 Grace Church Street, Port Chester, NY
Call: Alicia Ward, Volunteer Coordinator for more information: 914-502-1468 or email: email@example.com
Requirements to volunteer:
Background check 2 References
PPD test and Flu vaccine (free of charge from Open Door if needed)
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- weekly 1 hour per week
- Application; Background Check; 2 References; Medical Information; TB test, Flu Vaccine; Orientation
- Desperate for Diapers
- Many Hands and Miles of Gift Wrap
- Reading Volunteer for Preschool...
- You Can Change a Child's World,...
- Read to Preschool Children
- Children's Book Delivery
- Literacy Champion: Book Donation...
- Holiday Gift Wrapping
- Toddler Board Book Drive - We...
- Bilingual English-Spanish...
- Toy Drive Sorting