Advocate for Children
A Guardian ad Litem volunteer becomes the voice for children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect. The guardian doesn't take the child into their home and become a caregiver, but visits the child and gathers information in order to make recommendations of what we believe is in the child's best interest. While doing this the guardian often becomes the only consistent adult in the child's life. These children are moved from home to home, school to school, and are often separated from siblings. Guardians will give approximately 6-8 hours per month to make a difference in the lives of our most vulnerable children.
- The Guardian ad Litem program now offers virtual / on-line training to everyday citizens so they can make a difference in the lives of abused and neglected children.
- Child Advocate volunteers come from every walk of life and share a commitment to improving children’s lives, a willingness to learn and an open mind towards life experiences different from their own. No special education, experience or background is needed!
- Must be age 21 or older and pass, at no charge to you, background screens and fingerprinting.
- Advocates are appointed by the court to advocate, mentor and protect the rights and best interests of a child involved in a court proceeding.
- Currently, most of the court proceedings and child visitations are being held through on-line video-chat systems.
Help children find a happy outcome for their life-stories, by speaking on their behalf!
About Volunteer Polk
1290 Golfview Avenue, Bartow, FL 33830, US
Volunteer Polk’s Mission: We mobilize volunteers and resources to improve the quality of life for people throughout Polk County.
Polk County volunteers are seeking to:
- Make A Difference,
- Meet Others, and/or to
- Maximize their Career Skills - while assisting various agencies in County government.
Assignments are targeted to make a difference in the areas of:
- Education -STEM
- Economic Development & Community
- Health & Nutrition
- Public Safety
You may choose to volunteer once-a-week or once-in-a-while!