The South Bronx Concerned Citizens, Inc is an organization serving as a bridge between diverse cultures, providing human services and resources in health that foster community interaction and collaboration. These services will empower the youth and adults in the community; thus increasing youth awareness, rebuilding family unification and restoring community pride.
Position: SBCC Kids After School Program Counselor
This opportunity is for high school and college students interested in teaching/community development/social services between the ages of 16 and 24.
Every Monday through Friday from 2 to 6PM, we provide parents with an affordable and quality after school program. Here, young students have a place to relax, get homework help, and play with friends. Our guarantee to parents and guardians is to provide a safe, educational, and fun environment for their children. Youth workers will assist with helping students with their homework, facilitating the children during educational activities, and keeping the office tidy and organized.
- academic (math, spelling, grammar): Student over the age of 16 must be able to know the proper elementary math, spelling and grammar. You will be responsible for checking homework and checking that the homework is done correctly.
- personal: Volunteers are asked to be courteous, polite, and friendly. You are not only helping students with academic responsibilities, but they must be comfortable around you. Behavior that causes friction amongst other volunteers, staff, or our clients is not tolerated.
- professional: Your responsibility may strictly be in assisting the children in our organization but your commitment to our organization means you are also the face of our organization. We expect professional and mature behavior at all times.
- Literacy / Reading
- Youth Services
- Professional Development
- Math / Science Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- At least ten hours per week