Are you passionate about alleviating hunger and poverty in your community? Are you interested in food security, nutrition, and community development? Then Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County wants your help!
We are looking for enthusiastic interns that will work directly with the community to increase participation in the CalFresh program (formally known as food stamps). CalFresh benefits serve the community by significantly reducing hunger and poverty, while also boosting local economic activity. Unfortunately, only 57% of eligible Californians participate in the program. Participation rates in Orange County are even lower, the county ranks as the 43 rd lowest in participation rates of 58 counties. To increase participation in Orange County, CalFresh interns work to promote the program and educate the community. Additionally, to facilitate the application process, interns help community members fill out and submit applications, and follow up on each case.
Your work will significantly contribute to increasing our reach in the community, and a report on your impact and/or a letter of recommendation is available when your internship is complete. This internship will give you comprehensive public benefits training and practice (including Medi-Cal), and it will also provide you with hands on service, professional case management and advocacy experience. This position is suited for a variety of majors.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities; including but not limited to:
- Become a knowledgeable resource on the CalFresh program
- Conduct direct outreach to food insecure communities regarding CalFresh
- Help applicants understand the program and the application process
- Assist applicants with the application and ensure its completion
- Submit each application to social services with clients
- Keep clients informed about the status of each application
- Advocate on behalf of the clients and navigate through any complications that arise
- Participate in CalFresh team meetings and provide feedback to help the team improve community impact
- Community Outreach
- Human Resources Assistance
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- 15-18 weeks