Property Ambassador - Haskell Public Gardens
13 people are interested
In the heart of New Bedford lies the former nursery of Allen C. Haskell: six acres of beautifully landscaped gardens, historic buildings, and more than half an acre of greenhouse space. Come join our team comprised of stewards and a skilled horticulturist by performing caretaking activities at this unique and beautiful property. As a Property Ambassador, you will have the opportunity to assist with a variety of tasks including maintaining the property, interacting with visitors and promoting the mission of The Trustees. This is a flexible position, with the ideal candidate able to dedicate 3 hours on a weekly basis, Friday - Sunday with occasional weekday availability.
* Walk the property regularly, talk to visitors and keep a record of anything notable (visitor encounters, property features, etc.)
* Remove trash, small branches, and other debris
* Report to the staff, including sending in the record of their notable observations, on a regular basis (at least monthly)
* Assist with special programs on an occasional basis
* Attend volunteer training and orientation
* Log volunteer time
* Have reliable transportation to property
* An interest in conservation
* Ability and willingness to work on the property
* Ability to work as part of a team, and also independently
* Dress in appropriate field clothes and footwear for varying weather conditions: hot and dry, cold or wet, etc.
* Observance of Trustees safety protocol
* Knowledge of any or all of the following: history, landscape architecture, gardening/farming, and/or ecology of the area
* Good communication skills
* Open to engaging visitors when appropriate
Time Commitment Needed
Flexible hours, Friday - Sunday, 3 hours per week with occasional weekdays; prefer 3 month commitment
787 Shawmut Avenue, New Bedford, MA 02746
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, email@example.com
To explore other volunteer opportunities or sign up as a team, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
We'll work with your schedule.
Allen C. Haskell Public Gardens787 Shawmut AvenueNew Bedford, MA 02746
- Customer Service
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- 3 hours weekly, Fri-Sun; occ weekdays