The Institute for Therapy through the Arts (ITA) is one of the few comprehensive community-based arts therapy programs in the United States to offer four creative arts treatment modalities - Music Therapy, Drama Therapy, Art Therapy, and Dance/Movement Therapy. ITA’s highly skilled team of therapists uses these different modalities to help children, adults, and families to improve functioning related to psychological, developmental, physical or cognitive factors.
Founded in 1975, ITA has operated for 40 years as a division of the Music Institute of Chicago. In September 2015, ITA became an an independent nonprofit organization. ITA is now looking for enthusiastic individuals dedicated to helping individuals heal through the creative arts to join its Board of Directors. Board members will serve as ambassadors for the organization, working to promote and fulfill ITA's mission. For more information on the organization, visit ITA’s website at www.itachicago.org.
The ITA Board of Directors serves to organize the policy and direction of ITA for continued success and to cultivate ITA as a leader in the field of creative arts therapy by setting a relevant strategic plan.
Terms of Service
General board members are expected to serve 3-year terms. The Chair, Vice Chair, and all Committee Chairs will hold their positions for 2-year terms.
Meetings and Time Commitment* The board of directors meets at the end of each fiscal quarter at ITA’s main office in Evanston, IL.
* Committees of the board meet once per fiscal quarter before the full board meeting, or more frequently, depending on their respective work agendas.
Expectations of Board Members* Enthusiastically promote and share the history and mission of ITA, serving as an ambassador of the organization
* Remain actively informed about the organization and work to fulfill its mission
* Attend meetings on a regular basis
* Serve on at least one board committee
* Participate in special events and fund-raising activities of ITA
* Adopt an open mind when considering new ideas and changes in historic practices, consistent with the mission, principles, and values of ITA
* Aggressively expand ITA’s resources
* Safeguard confidentiality of ITA information
Board members are expected to make, or secure from another party, an annual donation of $2,000.00 or more.? In addition, board members may elect to contribute to ITA in one or more of the following ways:?* Provide direct pro bono services in an area of expertise or connect ITA with pro bono services
* Sponsor and facilitate a meeting with one new potential partner for ITA
* Host a networking event or donor cultivation event
* Facilitate and host a Board Member recruitment function
* Make in-kind donations to ITA
- Strategic Planning
- Financial Planning
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
- Brand Development & Messaging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Be able to meet at least once per fiscal quarter
- Make an annual financial contribution to the organization