Free Lunch and Snack Server - Summer Meals
12 people are interested
The Rondo Library serves free, nutritional meals and snacks Mondays thru Friday to youth (18 years old & under), through the federally funded Saint Paul Public Schools Summer Meals. Children who suffer from poor nutrition score much lower on tests of vocabulary, reading comprehension, math, and general knowledge. Over 300,000 students in Minnesota depend on the Free and Reduced Lunch program during the school year. The schools also have local libraries and community centers serve lunch and snack over the summer. We serve 15-30 youth each day.
Summer Meals starts on June 11 and goes through August 23. (Specific open weekly shifts/dates are listed below)
- Prep: Prepare bag lunches/snacks according to nutrition guidelines, record number of food items prepared, wipe tables, post mealtime rules signs.
- Serve meals/snacks to youth, having them write their name to keep track.
- Explain rules to attendees (18 & under, food may not leave the room).
- Clean up includes: Final tally of attendance, record wasted food items, return extra food items to fridge, wipe tables, dump leftover milk.
- Follow all food safety guidelines according to SPPS Nutrition Services.
Shifts Still Open:
Tuesdays Lunch, June 11 - July 16, 11:30 am - 1:30 pm
Wednesdays Snack, June 11 - Aug. 21, 3:15 - 4:45 pm
Fridays Snack, June 14 - Aug. 23, 3:15 - 4:45 pm
Details of daily shifts:
Lunch: 11:30am - 1:30pm (prep and clean up). Service is 12 - 1 pm
Snack: 3:15pm - 4:45pm (prep and clean up). Service is 3:30 - 4:30 pm
We prefer volunteers to serve once a week
Training provided on first day by Summer Meals coordinator Eric Whalen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We'll work with your schedule.
461 Dale Street NorthSt. Paul, MN 55104
- Youth Services
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Either 11:30am-1:30pm or 3:15-4:45pm once a week
- desire to work with youth, friendly, engaging volunteers, basic math