Murphy Canyon Military Distribution Volunteer!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
57 people are interested
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions throughout San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals. The Murphy Canyon Distribution serves military families who may not have many years of financial experience or the luxury of a dual income and fall into the lowest pay grades.
Goal of Position:
Volunteers are able to help assist in a critical area of need and help alleviate hunger among Military families. Volunteers are not only able to gain valuable nonprofit experience but also learn about food insecurity and hunger in their local community. We provide more than food assistance, we provide smiles as well.
- Assist Food Pantry staff in running the client check in process
- Distribute tickets with numbers to clients in the order that they arrive
- Distribute and assist clients with filling out intake forms and quarterly surveys
- Help clients get organized by number
- Check client military identification and record client’s attendance
- Educate clients on additional resources available to them
- Answer client questions
- Must be friendly, patient, and have the ability to develop and maintain good rapport with community members
- Must have an interest in interacting with clients, volunteers, and staff
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be able to walk and stand for 2 hours
- The Murphy Canyon distributions are from 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm on the 2 nd Sunday of the month
- Murphy Canyon Military Housing - Murphy Canyon Chapel - 3200 Santo Rd.
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
8804 Balboa Ave, San Diego, CA 92123, US
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient San Diego by empowering individuals and families to move toward self-sufficiency, supporting aging with dignity, and fostering community connection and engagement.
Founded in 1918, we are one of San Diego’s most impactful non-profit human services agencies. Last year, we served more than 39,500 clients, including over 17,000 asylum seekers at the JFS Migrant Family Shelter.
Our broad network of staff, volunteers, supporters, and community partners are committed to the pursuit of one shared goal: helping individuals and families in San Diego Move Forward.
We'll work with your schedule.
3200 Santo RoadSan DiegoSan Diego, CA 92124
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Sundays 1:30-3:30