Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions through San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals.
Goal of Position:
Serve young military families who are experiencing food insecurity. Many of these families have do not have many years of financial experience or the luxury of a dual income and fall into the lowest pay grades.
- Gain valuable nonprofit experience
- Learn about food insecurity and hunger in your community
- Provide food with a smile to those who we serve
- The knowledge that you made a difference in the lives of Military families and individuals
- Assist Food Pantry staff in running the client check in process
- Distribute tickets with numbers to clients in the order that they arrive
- Distribute and assist clients with filling out intake forms and quarterly surveys
- Help clients get organized by number
- Check client military identification and record client’s attendance
- Educate clients on additional resources available to them
- Answer client questions
- Must be friendly, patient, and have the ability to develop and maintain good rapport with community members
- Must have an interest in interacting with clients, volunteers and staff
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be able to walk and stand for 2 hours
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Complete Volunteer interview, reference check and training
- Murphy Canyon distributions are from 1:30pm-3:30pm on the 2nd Sunday.
Murphy Canyon Military Housing
Murphy Canyon Chapel - 3200 Santo Rd.
Hand Up Food Pantry Distribution Specialist; Hand Up Food Pantry Program Staff
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Sundays 1:30-3:30
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Volunteer ESL Instructor
- Lunch Service Table Captain
- Pro-Bono Legal Services Needed
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Volunteer Accounting Clerk: Must...
- St. Paul's Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Military Distribution Lead
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Merchandising & Stocking...
- Public Transportation Navigator