24 people are interested
Front Desk Volunteer
Background: The Center for Changing Lives’ vision is a community where everyone thrives. Too often lack of resource and economic opportunity limit participants’ choices and capacity to achieve their goals. CCL partners with people in order to uncover possibilities, overcome barriers, and realize their potential. This partnership can include coaching, training, educating, coalition building, advocacy, and organizing. In order to support participants in accessing the resources and economic opportunity to achieve their vision for their life, CCL members uncover economic possibilities, overcome barriers to their financial goals, and realize their full financial potential.
The Front Desk Volunteer is responsible for greeting and supporting clients as they enter into the CCL office. The volunteer will assist in signing clients in, explaining core CCL services, coordinating entry and intake with clients, scheduling client appointments, and making necessary service connections with Center for Changing Lives’ staff. In this position, volunteers will communicate directly with the Resource & Connection Coordinator. The work done and interactions that will be had as a Front Desk volunteer are the first step in a CCL client’s path toward achieving economic and housing stability.
The Front Desk Volunteer will communicate with all staff, use the telephone and voicemail system, use the computer (specifically Google applications such as Calendar, Mail, and Drive), sort mail, and maintain a clean, welcoming, and safe office environment. Volunteers will be trained by the Outreach and Engagement Coach as well as by current volunteers.
We are seeking a volunteer who can commit to at least one 3-4 hour shift per week.
To be most successful in this position, volunteers should:
- Have great customer services skills, keeping a calm and welcoming attitude
- Feel comfortable interacting with people
- Be flexible and willing and able to adapt to changing situations, procedures, responsibilities, and personalities
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have excellent listening skills
- Ask relevant and thoughtful questions to staff and clients
- Recognize when to ask for or offer assistance with staff
- Be comfortable offering and receiving feedback
- Be well organized
- Experience using Google+ preferable
- Bilingual preferred but not necessary!
- Familiarity with the city of Chicago (institutions, resources, CTA, streets) preferred, but not necessary!
- Provide space and support for those facing lack of resource, support, and economic opportunity
- Build your network of professionals and community members working for structural policy change surrounding low-income housing, employment, and resource allocation
- Opportunity to develop professional and nonprofit skills and relationships that can be used on a resume
- Opportunity to build strong employment references
- Opportunity to lead on an advocacy project or create a group within CCL
- Opportunity to attend trainings
Please send resume, letter of interest, and any questions to LaShelle Newland-Jordan at email@example.com.
We'll work with your schedule.
1955 North St. Louis Ave101Chicago, IL 60647
- Customer Service
- Office Reception
- Google Apps
- Orientation or Training
- 4-8 hours