Do you have a loved one with a mental illness? Share your wisdom to help others in a support group!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6600 York RoadSuite 204Baltimore, MD 21212
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Volunteers are needed to serve as Support Group Facilitators for NAMI's Family Support Group program. Support Group Facilitators provide support, education, and practical knowledge to other people living with mental illness and family members. Groups meet weekly under the guidance of 2 Volunteer Facilitators.
▪ Personal experience having an adult family member with a mental illness
▪ Complete a 2-day training program provided by NAMI. Available weekends only.
▪ Current member of NAMI, or willingness to join
▪ Volunteers are kindly asked to make a 6 month commitment upon completion of training. Facilitators are scheduled on a rotating basis; minimum 2 hours per month.
▪ Facilitators are not counselors or teachers; rather, they are present primarily to give the group structure by opening and closing each support group session, guiding discussion, and shifting discussion when necessary.
▪ Maintain confidentiality of support group attendees
▪ Work cooperatively with a co-facilitator to conduct the group
▪ Report attendance to Program Director
- Public Speaking
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 hours per month
- ▪ Personal experience having an adult family member with a mental illness▪ 2-day training