Do you have a loved one with a mental illness? Support others who do in a support group!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6600 York RoadSuite 204Baltimore, MD 21212
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Volunteers are needed to serve as Support Group Facilitators for NAMI's Family Support Group program. Support Group Facilitators provide support, education, and practical knowledge to other people living with mental illness and family members. Groups meet weekly under the guidance of 2 Volunteer Facilitators.
▪ Personal experience having an adult family member with a mental illness
▪ Complete a 2-day training program provided by NAMI. Available weekends only.
▪ Current member of NAMI, or willingness to join
▪ Volunteers are kindly asked to make a 1-year commitment upon completion of training. Facilitators are scheduled on a rotating basis; minimum 2 hours per month.
▪ Facilitators are not counselors or teachers; rather, they are present primarily to give the group structure by opening and closing each support group session, guiding discussion, and shifting discussion when necessary.
▪ Maintain confidentiality of support group attendees
▪ Work cooperatively with a co-facilitator to conduct the group
▪ Report attendance to the Director of Signature Programs
- Public Speaking
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 hours per month
- ▪ Personal experience having an adult family member with a mental illness ▪ 2-day training
- What is it like to hear voices?...
- Do you have a loved one with a...
- Does your child/adolescent have...
- Become a Senior Mentor to...
- Are you living well in recovery?...
- Are you ready to open up about...
- Are you living well with a...
- Have you cared for a loved one...
- Help us advocate for and bring...
- Raise awareness about mental...