Are you living well in recovery? Ready to give back by supporting peers with mental illness?
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6600 York RoadSuite 204Baltimore, MD 21212
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Volunteers are needed to serve as Mentors for NAMI's Peer-to-Peer education course. This is a free, 10-week class for adults with a mental illness. Peer-to-Peer emphasizes recovery from mental illness as a feasible, supportable goal and challenges the stigma often wrongly associated with mental illness. Volunteer Mentors receive a $250 stipend for their service.
▪ Personal experience having a mental illness and living well in recovery
▪ Participated in a Peer-to-Peer course
▪ Complete a 3-day training program provided by NAMI. Available weekends only.
▪ Current member of NAMI, or willingness to join
▪ Volunteers are encouraged to teach the course at least twice in the 2 years following completion of training. The course meets for 2 hours for 10 consecutive weeks.
▪ Maintain confidentiality of course participants
▪ Work cooperatively with a co-teacher to conduct the courses
▪ Coordinate classes with Program Director, including completion of all required paperwork
▪ Complete online refresher course every 2 years
▪ Assist with planning and outreach for the course
▪ Encourage class participants to join NAMI and become advocates
- Public Speaking
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week for 10 weeks
- ▪ Diagnosed mental illness & Living well in recovery▪ 3-day training