Are you living well with a mental illness? Educate your fellow peers!
DONATE TO THIS
33 people are interested
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Volunteers are needed to serve as Mentors for NAMI's Peer-to-Peer education course. This is a free, 8-week class for adults with a mental illness. Peer-to-Peer emphasizes recovery from mental illness as a feasible, supportable goal and challenges the stigma often wrongly associated with mental illness. Volunteer Mentors receive a $250 stipend for their service.
▪ Personal experience having a mental illness and living well in recovery
▪ Participated in a Peer-to-Peer course
▪ Complete an 8-hour online training and a 1.5 day in person training provided by NAMI. The next Peer-to-Peer Mentor training will be held on October 6-7, 2018 in Baltimore.
▪ Current member of NAMI, or willingness to join
▪ Volunteers are encouraged to teach the course at least twice in the 2 years following completion of training. The course meets for 2 hours for 8 consecutive weeks.
▪ Maintain confidentiality of course participants
▪ Work cooperatively with a co-teacher to conduct the courses
▪ Coordinate classes with Program Director, including completion of all required paperwork
▪ Complete online refresher course every 2 years
▪ Assist with planning and outreach for the course
▪ Encourage class participants to join NAMI and become advocates
About National Alliance on Mental Illness Metropolitan Baltimore
6600 York Road, Suite 204, Baltimore, MD 21212, US
We are a grassroots, family oriented support, education, and advocacy organization dedicated to empowering families to improve the lives of people living with mental illnesses and to eradicating stigma that surrounds mental illness.
Educates, supports and advocates families and individuals dealing with a mental illness. NAMI has 1,500 local and state affiliates and 230,000 members in the United States.
We'll work with your schedule.
6600 York RoadSuite 204Baltimore, MD 21212
- Public Speaking
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week for 10 weeks
- ▪ Diagnosed mental illness & Living well in recovery ▪ 3-day training