Does your child/adolescent have a behavioral health condition? Help educate others!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6600 York RoadSuite 204Baltimore, MD 21212
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Volunteers are needed to serve as teachers for NAMI's Basics education course. This is a free, 6-week class for parents and caregivers of children and adolescents who are affected by mental illness. The course is taught by 2 volunteer Teachers who provide information about the impact of mental illness on the family, as well as treatment, support, coping, and navigating child serving systems.
▪ Personal experience as a parent or caregiver of a child with a behavioral health condition before the age of 17
▪ Complete a 2-day training program provided by NAMI. The next training will be hosted in Baltimore on February 23-24, 2019.
▪ Current member of NAMI, or willingness to join
▪ Volunteers are encouraged to teach the course at least twice in the 2 years following completion of training. The course meets for 2.0 hours for 6 consecutive weeks.
▪ Maintain confidentiality of course participants
▪ Work cooperatively with a co-teacher to conduct the courses
▪ Coordinate classes with the Director of Signature Programs, including completion of all required paperwork
▪ Complete online refresher course every 2 years
▪ Assist with planning and outreach for the course
- Public Speaking
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
- Children Medical Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week for 6 weeks
- ▪ Personal experience as a parent or caregiver of a child/adolescent with a mental illness