Have you cared for a loved one with mental illness? Educate other families about mental health
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6600 York RoadSuite 204Baltimore, MD 21212
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Volunteers are needed to serve as teachers for NAMI's Family-To-Family education course. This is a free, 12-week class for families and friends of adults with mental illness. The course is taught by 2 volunteer Teachers who provide information about mental illness, as well as communication, problem solving skills, and strategies to support a loved one with a mental illness.
? Personal experience having an adult family member with a mental illness
? Complete a 3-day training program provided by NAMI. Available Friday through Sunday only.
? Current member of NAMI, or willingness to join
? Volunteers are encouraged to teach the course at least twice in the 2 years following completion of training. The course meets for 2.5 hours for 12 consecutive weeks.
? Maintain confidentiality of course participants
? Work cooperatively with a co-teacher to conduct the courses
? Coordinate classes with the Director of Signature Programs, including completion of all required paperwork
? Complete online refresher course every 2 years
? Assist with planning and outreach for the course
- Public Speaking
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours per week for 12 weeks
- ? Personal experience having an adult family member with a mental illness? 3-day training
- What is it like to hear voices?...
- Do you have a loved one with a...
- Does your child/adolescent have...
- Are you living well in recovery?...
- Are you ready to open up about...
- Are you living well with a...
- Have you cared for a loved one...
- Help us advocate for and bring...
- Raise awareness about mental...