The Program Facilitator will present and deliver MHAGC mental health education programs in a high school setting. Facilitators will also distribute and grade program assessment tools.
MHAGC Educational Programming (80% - 96 hrs)
- Presentation of MHAGC Educational Programming: The cornerstone MHAGC educational program is Living-to-learn (L2L). L2L is a 10-week, 15 lesson curriculum presented to Chicago Public High School freshmen. Lessons include the following topics: Stress, Mental Health, and Counseling; Secondary Illness; Depression; Suicide; Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder; Post Traumatic Stress Disorder; Conduct Disorder; Self-Injurious Behavior; Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder; Eating Disorders; Autism; Substance Abuse; Bipolar; Schizophrenia.
- Administer Assessments: Assessments are conducted before, during, and after the program to measure current knowledge and stigma, as well as prevalence of disorders such as Depression, Anxiety, and Substance Abuse.
- Grading and Interpretation of Assessments: Assessments are graded and the results analyzed through SPSS to determine relative effectiveness of the program. Facilitators may also use Excel for this process. These duties require outside preparation and grading.
Interdisciplinary Collaboration & Communication (5% - 6 hrs)
- Facilitators are responsible for contacting school counselors, social workers, and psychologists to facilitate their introduction to each class of students. Facilitators will provide counselors tracking forms/incident reports in relation to students who have sought help after viewing a presentation.
Referrals to Community Resources (5% - 6 hrs)
- Facilitators will also be required to refer students who come forward for follow-up based on the MHAGC guidelines in doing so.
Administration (10% - 12 hrs)
- Additional duties may be asked of the Facilitator during the semester such as updating the list of Chicagoland Mental Health Agencies used for referrals in the MHAGC Directory & engaging in activities that help spread awareness about MHAGC.
- This position is primarily designed for graduate program internship/practicum credits. The exact number of hours and responsibilities can be tailored to meet the requirements of individual programs. The above percentages of based off of a 120-hour internship/practicum requirement. At times, Facilitators may be Seniors in undergraduate psychology programs that have exhibited a level of excellence in their studies and are seeking graduate training in psychology.
- The program is administered in Chicago area schools one day per week for 10 weeks, during the Fall and Spring semesters. Facilitators must commit to spending one full 8-hour day per week facilitating in schools. The exact day depends of the needs and preference of the individual schools.
- Facilitators will undergo training by a Program Manager to ensure an in-depth understanding and mastery of the curriculum. This will occur prior to the commencement of the 10-week program. Facilitators will be supervised an advised by the Program Manager.
- Facilitators must be comfortable with public speaking and have some familiarity with SPSS or Excel.
- MHAGC programs delve into the daily life of Chicago high school students, and facilitators should be prepared for a diverse, interesting experience!
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Masters / PhD Internship
- Grant Writer
- Membership Drive Volunteer
- Newsletter Designer Content Writer
- Film Maker
- General Development Volunteer
- Curriculum & Programming Manager
- Office Support
- Google Adword management
- Joomla Website development,...
- Development Coordinator
- Program Facilitator
- Event Planner
- Administrative Volunteer Positions
- Marketing & Media Management