The Village Method (TVM) needs your help in supporting our young scholars in their academic acheivement during the 2016-17 school year. As an after school program, TVM operates on the school campus between the hours of 3pm - 5pm. We provide an upbeat and culturally responsive learning environment so that our young scholars feel welcomed and affirmed.
As an Academic Coach your goal is to support your pod of students in the successful completion of their homework while motivating them towards their highest level of academic performance. You along with a team of other Academic Coaches will each work independently with a group of five to seven middle school students to develop their positive academic self-identity. The Academic Coach also challenges the TVM scholar to think about his or her personal and/or professional goals in order to relate them to his or her academic/educational goals. In this learning process, it is important for the AC to encourage the student to become more self-aware by understanding his or her strengths, values, interests, purpose, and passion. This process should also focus on the student developing necessary skills to be responsible for his or her actions and decisions.
Students will see you as a mentor/friend, families will praise you for helping them and their child, and TVM will share in this effort to increase the probability of youth staying on a college pathway by 9th grade and college bound after high school graduation. We're building a pipeline from Cradle to College; College to Career; and Career to Community in order to complete the circle and strengthen our village.
- Passion for and commitment to helping students succeed
- Independent and able to work unsupervised
- Proficient in math up to Algebra II
- Strong communication skills in English.
- Punctual & Responsible
- Experience working with a diverse population students in a relevant program area (e.g. tutoring or teaching, college advising, or youth development) - preferred
- TVM operates Monday-Friday between 3pm-5pm and you must be able to commit to one or more of these days
- Oversee the success of a cohort of students via advising, programming support, outreach, and data analysis
- Document progress and communicate observations to the larger team
- Complete administrative tasks including, but not limited to, maintaining the center, monitoring technology, taking attendance, chaperoning field trips, entering data, occasional school site visits, and contacting parents and teachers
- Attend onboarding and orientation prior to the start of the summer, fall, and spring sessions
- Meet regularly with the Program Director to discuss student progress
- Assist in the monitoring and tracking of students in their attendance, academic, and behavioral progress.
If you are inspired to do this work and the location and time works for you, please join us on this grassroots journey towards academic excellence.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2:30pm to 5pm