Overview: Best preparation for success in high school and college must occur during the middle school years. Currently serving middle school students, The Village Method ("TVM") fills an existing gap by preparing youth for a career, graduate a four-year college, achieve both their educational and career dreams, and become productive members of their communities.
The program includes tutoring, academic coaching/mentoring, field trips, parent/student advocacy empowerment events, cultural celebrations, and academic planning and success tracking sessions. No other programs exist in Union City that combine TVM’s methodology with Afro-centric roots; it incorporates culturally responsive approaches into its model.
The over-arching goal of The Village Method (TVM) is to strengthen communities by being a conduit of empowerment for youth and families in the Southern Alameda County area (Union City, Fremont, Newark, and Hayward). We aim to empower parents and concerned adults to advocate for their children and successfully navigate the educational system.
Program Components and Beliefs:
1. Strength-based Approach - TVM taps into the gifts and talents that children need for success.
2. Prevention/Intervention - Being Black is not a risk factor and, through proactive engagement, intervention is not a necessity.
3. Service Tracking - TVM maintains connection during the entire academic journey of the student while other programs are limited.
4. Holistic Community Engagement - We believe that the family, city, local businesses, residents and school district all have a stake in influencing positive life outcomes of a child.Key Pillars: * Academic Excellence--Develop a Pipeline to Higher Ed * Social & Cultural Exposure--Igniting a Positive Self Image * Healthy Living--Encouraging a Sustainable Lifestyle * Economic & Financial Literacy--Shift from Consumer-Centric Thinking
Job Description: Math Tutors provide structured academic support and guidance for our students throughout the school year. The primary role of the Tutor is to help ensure that students meet or exceed grade level standards. Tutors should at all times strive to motivate and maintain the interest of the students while setting a positive example in all areas, including timeliness, attendance, and professionalism. Additionally, Tutors must take a sincere, active, and appropriate interest in the well-being of all students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work one-on-one and in small groups with students
- Partner with Program Manager to develop and implement instructional strategies
- Communicate with Program Manager regularly
- Document all tutoring sessions in the system detailing student interactions, achievements, and any potential concerns
- Periodically administer assessments and collaborate with staff to analyze scores
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Attend onboarding and orientation prior to the start of volunteer service
- Passion for and commitment to helping students succeed
- Independent and able to work unsupervised
- Proficient in math up to Algebra II
- Strong communication skills in English, both oral and written
- Punctual & Responsible
- Experience working with a diverse population students in a relevant program area (e.g. tutoring or teaching, college advising, or youth development) - preferred
- TVM operates Monday-Friday between 3pm-5pm, and you must be able to commit to 2-hour shifts, one or more of these days
Students will see you as a mentor/friend, families will praise you for helping them and their child, and TVM will share in this effort to increase the probability of youth staying on a college pathway by 9 th grade and prepared for ollege and/or career beyond` after high school graduation.
If you are inspired to do this work and the location and time works for you, please join us on this grassroots journey towards academic excellence.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2:30pm to 5pm