Become a College Mentor and Make a Difference in a High School Student’s Life!
East Harlem Tutorial Program’s (EHTP) goal is to help prepare students with the academic skills, strength of character and social and emotional well-being to excel in high school and college, to lead in their communities, and realize their best possible selves. The College Mentoring Program is one way we work towards achieving our goal.
The College Mentoring Program is two-year, one-on-one program that guides high school scholars through the entire college admissions process and supports them as they navigate their first year of college. The program’s goal is to ensure that each senior successfully applies to college, finds financial aid, and chooses the school that is best suited for their needs.
- Assist your mentee in developing a list of "best fit" colleges by conducting online research
- Assist your mentee in developing and proofreading a personal statement, as well as other short essays.
- Assist your mentee in filling out and submitting applications on time.
- Assist your mentee in organizing and developing a resume.
- Help prepare the student for college interviews.
- Assist your mentee in identifying, researching and applying for scholarships.
- Act as a role model, resource, and support system to your mentee.
- Support your mentee as they transition into and through their first year of college.
Competencies of a Successful Mentor
- Extreme locus of control - mentor goes above and beyond to meet goals and is action-oriented.
- Excellent project manager - mentor is highly organized, can articulate a system for keeping track of responsibilities and meeting deadlines, and has a willingness and desire to do the research necessary to develop list of "best fit" schools for mentee.
- Strong influencer/motivator - builds relationships quickly, is a great listener, inspires trust, and has a strong ability to influence and motivate people to desired outcomes.
- Mission Fit - Passionate about EHTP’s mission of preparing students with the academic skills, strength of character, and emotional well-being to excel in high school and college, to lead in their communities, and to realize their best possible selves
The College Mentoring program is a two-year commitment with different requirements in Years One & Two.
Year One: support your mentee with the college admissions process through weekly meetings in East Harlem (minimum of 90 minutes once per week, Tuesday or Wednesday evenings)
- Year Two: organize a monthly email or phone call with your mentee to provide support and guidance during their first year of college (minimum of 30 minutes once per month)
- Financial Literacy
- Basic Computer Skills
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 23
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly (Tuesday OR Wednesday) from 6:00-8:00pm
- 1 Phone Interview Required and Application RequiredCompliance Paperwork Required - F