Join the Dogs on Deployment team and help promote our mission assisting military and veteran families nationwide with help with their pets' care through fostering, advocacy and financial assistance.
Dogs on Deployment is looking for a part-time volunteer to help us manage our Public Relations! Volunteering for Dogs on Deployment will not only help our organization tremendously, but invites our new volunteer to develop your own skills and resume.
What we're looking for:
- A highly, self-motivated volunteer who understands and is familiar with Dogs on Deployment's mission
- Ability to communicate clearly with an outgoing personality
- Someone who can use their creativity to help promote Dogs on Deployment on a national level
- Experience with media relations, communication and working with the press
- Minimum 6 months volunteer position
- INTERN OPPORTUNITY: Students or graduates who majored in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or Advertising/Marketing will be highly considered
What the job will entail:
- Track upcoming reunions and inquire with DoD Boarder and Pet Owners about desire to be in the news
- Keep updated on major events that Dogs on Deployment will be present at and connect with local news for coverage
- Coordinate reporters and media coverage for reunions, boarding successes, and more
- Respond to requests from media by providing stories, interview leads, photographs and other marketing material
- Coaching interviewees on DoD’s mission and organizational information to prepare them for upcoming interviews
- Prepare press releases and contact people in the media who might print or broadcast DoD material
- Arrange and conduct programs to keep up contact between DoD representatives and the public
- Prepare visual presentations and press packages as required and keep information updated
- Works with Staff Writers to submit stories for media sources requesting self-authored material
Volunteer hours will be self-managed, with no minimum hours. Possibly up to 10 hours/week.
Dogs on Deployment volunteer positions are non-paying. However, Dogs on Deployment is a fast-growing, successful non-profit with long-term goals for success and growth. Volunteer with us, and be supported by a wonderful team of individuals motivated behind a common purpose to support our military members. Be fulfilled daily knowing that your work is meaningful in the lives of so many military men and women. On a practical note, build your resume, receive a recommendation for future work for a job well done, and build relationships nationally with reporters and media contacts from several different media sources and locations!
How to apply: Complete the Volunteer Match application or send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with PUBLIC RELATIONS VOLUNTEER in the subject line. Include a short (1-page or less) biography about you, your background and why our cause is important to you. References are welcomed!
- Public Relations
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Social Media / Blogging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- 6 months