When someone comes to our food shelf, they have a one-on-one meeting with an advocate. This is an opportunity to find out if we can refer them to other agencies for more help. Then they both go to the food shelf and the advocate helps the client make food choices. A listening ear and encouragement are the advocates greatest tools.
This is a good opportunity for anyone interested in social work to learn what it's like dealing with a variety of personalities. You can make an appointment to "shadow" an advocate for an afternoon to observe how we interact with clients and find out if it's something you would like to do on on a weekly basis or once or twice a month. We need advocates Monday through Thursday, from 1pm to 4 pm. If you can speak Spanish that would be a HUGE plus!
We are located in the Phillips community, which is the poorest section of Minneapolis and the largest group we serve are the elderly.
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 3 hours once a week or twice a month
- we need volunteers who are non-judgemental and like meeting new people
- Need someone fluent in Somali...
- deliver Meals on Wheels three...
- Greet Meals on Wheels Drivers
- Help pack Meals on Wheels lunch...
- Ride with Meals on Wheels Driver...
- Food Shelf Volunteers
- East African Food Distribution...
- Evening opportunity: Deliver...
- Food Shelf Advocate
- Deliver once or twice a year for...
- Office Assistants
- Do you speak Spanish?