What is Lunchtime Conversation?
Lunchtime Conversation is designed to connect Seattle Goodwill volunteers with English language learners. We hope to provide a comfortable setting for our students to practice their developing language skills with native and/or expert English speakers. It is the perfect place to ask questions and share experiences, and it’s often the only place students have to express spontaneous speech.
What you need to do:
- elicit responses from students
- be patient, creative, and willing to use a variety of methods to promote communication
- be sensitive to cultural differences
- be willing to listen more than talk
- wait through the silence to give students time to find their own words
What you need to have:
- a desire to learn new things from students
- a good sense of humor
- a commitment to complete one session
- a commitment to the Seattle Goodwill mission statement:
"Goodwill provides quality, effective employment training and basic education to individuals experiencing significant barriers to economic opportunity. Because jobs change lives."
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 weeks, 1-4 hours per week
- GED math tutor needed!
- Math, reading, and writing tutor...
- GED test prep tutor
- Tutors needed for math, reading,...
- Jewelry Department - small...
- Open Computer Lab Assistant
- Support youth in math, physics...
- Career Lab Assistant - help...
- Instructor's Aide ESOL
- Lunchtime conversation...
- Math + English tutors needed!