WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where@LaSalle in Bayview; @4th & King; @Ellis & Taylor@Mabini btw 3rd/4th; @Judah & 31st@Golden Gate Ave btw Larkin/Hyde; @22nd & GearySan Francisco, CA 94103
Community Living Campaign-SF Connected is looking for volunteers to positively impact the lives of elderly San Franciscans at Adult Day Services centers. Many elders are interested in using technology to stay mentally limber and to become more connected to family, friends, and community. Do you have an hour each week to help seniors learn how to do different activities on the computer?
As a volunteer at the center’s computer lab, you will:
- Teach elders computer basics (ex. touchscreen, mouse & keyboard, how to use a search engine, how to set up an email account or guide through fun brain fitness online activities.
- Use accessibility features to help elder see/hear computer (training provided)
- Record notes about participants' progress.
- Submit an online report (class time, how many elders, how many hours).
- Offer encouragement and helpful suggestions to help seniors succeed.
- Offer appropriate new challenges as participants advance (We have lessons/guidelines available).
Adult Day Services centers serve frail elders. Tutoring may include working with seniors with independent skills to seniors who need ongoing repitition of instructions or engaging in online brain fitness activities.
Submit your interest for application. Once application is returned, a phone interview will be scheduled regarding matches with local centers, onsite orientation and then volunteer schedule will be set.
Preferred Time Commitment: minimum of two months with 1.5 hour a week - but flexibility in scheduling is available. Only Weekday and daytime hours are available with time choices between 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Basic computer literacy
- Good people skills
- With a myriad of walkers, wheelchairs, canes, hearing and vision disabilities; utilize safe and creative ways to access the computer comfortably. (We will demonstrate!)
- Recent TB test (Can be done after attending orientation and before starting volunteer schedule).
- Minimum age: 15 years
Bilingual skills are welcomed especially in Chinese, Spanish and Russian.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Weekdays Only. Time slots between 9:00 a.m. - 2:00
- Proof of current TB (Negative) Test