Help Seniors Learn about Computers at Adult Day Services Centers
48 people are interested
Community Living Campaign-SF Connected is looking for volunteers to positively impact the lives of elderly San Franciscans at Adult Day Services centers. Many elders are interested in using technology to become more connected to family, friends, and community, to stay mentally engaged and sometimes to just reconnect to some fun! Do you have an hour each week to help seniors learn how to do different activities on the computer?
As a volunteer at the center’s computer lab, you will:
- Teach elders computer basics (ex. touchscreen, mouse & keyboard, how to use a search engine, how to set up an email account or guide through fun brain fitness online activities.
- Enjoy youtube videos, listen to music or play games over and over again.
- Utilize accessibility features to help elder see/hear computer (training provided)
- Submit an online report (class time, how many elders, how many hours).
- Offer encouragement and helpful suggestions to help seniors succeed.
- Offer appropriate new challenges as participants advance
NOTE: Adult Day Services centers are health care centers which serve frail elders. Tutoring may include working with seniors who function quite independently along with seniors living with dementia, Parkinson, cerebral palsy, TBI, vision and hearing disabilities are using wheelchairs, walkers or canes. Some requests will be advanced and some will be ongoing repetition of online activities.*
Preferred Time Commitment: minimum of two months with one hour per week (allow for your travel time) - but often there are flexible options. Only Weekday and daytime hours are available with primary time choices between 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Basic computer literacy
- Good people skills
- With a myriad of walkers, wheelchairs, canes, hearing and vision disabilities; utilize safe and creative ways to access the computer comfortably. (We will demonstrate!)
- Recent TB test (Can be done after attending orientation and before starting volunteer schedule).
- Minimum age: 15 years
Bilingual skills are welcomed!
We'll work with your schedule.
Various locations throughout San FranciscoSan Franicsco, CA 94013
- People 55+
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Weekdays Only. Time slots between 9:00 a.m. - 2:00
- Proof of current TB (Negative) Test