We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Please find other opportunities.Find Opportunities
59 people are interested
Great for Community Service Hours!-Help Seniors Learn about Computers at Adult Day Services Centers
ORGANIZATION: Community Living Campaign
Please visit the new page to apply.
59 people are interested
Share an hour each week with an older adult - you can make a positive impact on the lives of
older San Franciscans at Adult Day Services centers.
Many elders are interested in using technology to become more connected to family, friends, and community, to stay mentally engaged and sometimes to just reconnect to some fun! Do you have an hour each week to help teach computer basics?
Community Living Campaign is looking for volunteers who can assist in Adult Day Services computer labs. As a volunteer, you will:
- Teach elders computer basics (ex. touchscreen, mouse & keyboard, how to use a search engine, how to set up an email account or guide through fun brain fitness online activities.
- Enjoy youtube videos, listen to music or play games over and over again.
- Use accessibility features to help elder see/hear computer (training provided)
- Submit an online report (class time, how many elders, how many hours).
- Offer encouragement and helpful suggestions to help seniors succeed.
- Offer appropriate new challenges as participants advance
NOTE: Adult Day Services centers are health care centers that serve frail elders. Tutoring may include working with seniors who function quite independently, as well as seniors living with dementia, Parkinson, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, vision and hearing disabilities, and/or are using wheelchairs, walkers or canes. Some requests will be advanced and some will be ongoing repetition of online activities.*
Preferred Time Commitment: minimum of two months with one hour per week (allow for your travel time) - but often there are flexible options. Only Weekday and daytime hours are available with most time choices between 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Basic computer literacy
- Good people skills
- With a myriad of walkers, wheelchairs, canes, hearing and vision disabilities; use safe and creative ways to access the computer comfortably. (We will demonstrate!)
- Recent TB test (Can be done after attending orientation and before starting volunteer schedule).
- Minimum age: 15 years
Cantonese speakers and other bilingual tutors are welcomed!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Community Living Campaign
1663 Mission Street, Suite 525, San Francisco, CA 94103, US
Community Living Campaign builds connections to help seniors and people with disabilities age and thrive in their own homes and communities.
We work with San Francisco seniors and people with disabilities to increase the connections, resources, and support needed to age and thrive in their own homes and neighborhoods.
We organize free activities and programs like computer classes, healthy aging workshops, senior exercise groups, and grocery delivery. These activities offer practical support and teach valuable skills. But most importantly, they create opportunities for folks to make the friendships they need to age well at home.
Studies show that only 20% of what people need to age at home comes from formal services. The other 80% comes from friends, faith groups, and other community connections.
Meeting the needs of an aging population is a huge undertaking. So we also build coalitions, bringing together neighbors, community organizations, businesses, and City agencies to organize and advocate around issues that are too big for any of us to solve alone. Most recently, these have included the SF Tech Council and the Dignity Fund Coalition.
Various locations throughout San FranciscoSan Franicsco, CA 94103
October 28, 2019
- Basic Computer Skills
- PC Platform
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Weekdays Only. Time slots between 9:00 a.m. - 2:00
- Proof of current TB (Negative) Test