As part of the Education Department, "Ask It" Volunteers assist in the delivery of programming, help maintain exhibits and interact with visitors and groups. Visitor interactions are based on a fundamental enthusiasm for promoting understanding of science and technology, the natural environment and our region's cultural heritage.
"Ask It" Volunteers share information with visitors in exhibit galleries. Shifts are scheduled during regular museum hours: 9am - 5pm Monday through Saturday, and 10am - 5pm on Sundays. Schedules will be set on a monthly basis, but we will work with your availability! We ask for a minimum commitment of 40 hours over five months and encourage long term volunteering.
If you enjoy connecting with people and are passionate about science, technology, cultural heritage, the environment and working in the hands-on exhibit halls, then being part of the Education Department "Ask It" Volunteer team is the place for you!
"Ask It" Volunteers receive training in RMSC exhibit galleries as well as techniques for engaging visitors in an interactive experience.
"Ask It" Volunteers
- Enjoy working with children and families
- Are excited about RMSC content
- Are outgoing and willing to engage visitors in exploration and discussion
- Are available weekdays or weekends to engage with RMSC visitors
- Are able to commit to a schedule of your choice
- Are will to share your expertise in everything from Nanoscience to Paleontology
Without our many dedicated "Ask It" Volunteers, the Rochester Museum & Science Center would not be the cultural epicenter it is today.
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Cross-cultural Communication
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 40 hours over 5 months
- Long term volunteering is encouraged