Summer Meals at Rondo Community Library
We are looking for volunteers to serve free lunch and snack to youth in the library during the summer!
The Rondo Library (Dale & University) serves free, nutritional lunch and snacks Mondays thru Fridays during the summer, from June 12 - August 24, to youth (18 years old & under), through the Summer Food Service Program and Saint Paul Public Schools. Children who suffer from poor nutrition score much lower on tests of vocabulary, reading comprehension, math, and general knowledge. Over 300,000 students in Minnesota depend on the Free and Reduced Lunch program during the school year, and may not have access to the nutrition they need during the summer months, making this is a valuable service to the community.
- Prep: Put out food items according nutrition guidelines, recording number of items prepared, wipe tables, post mealtime rules signs.
- Serve items to youth, recording number of meals/students
- Explain rules to attendees (18 & under, food may not leave the room).
- Clean up includes: Final tally of attendance, record wasted food items, return extra food items to storage, wipe tables.
- Follow all food safety guidelines according to SPPS Nutrition Services.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- If over 18, Must have a background check for working with youth (no fee).
- Possess a desire to work with youth
The following shifts are available.
M, T, W, Th, F: 11:30-1:30 (Lunch 12-1pm)
M, T, W, Th, F: 3:15-4:45 (Snack 3:30-4:30pm)
Ideally, volunteers pick one (or more) shifts and serve the same day/s each week. We can be flexible though. Training and orientation will take place on the first day of volunteering with the Summer Meals program.
- Food Service
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 - 2 hours per week (or more)