Be a Tutor for a Child Victim of Abuse
Project Description: The VIP program offers our child clients (5-18 years old) with tutoring services to assist in their educational success.
Volunteer Role & Responsibilities: Volunteers serve as tutors to the kids in our program providing them with weekly academic help. As a volunteer tutor, you support our clients in building their confidence and achieving their academic goals and aspirations. VIP tutors will:
- Develop and establish a good rapport with assigned clients.
- Commit to a client for a one hour weekly tutoring session
- Work with clients to complete assignments and improve academic skills in a variety of subject areas and grade levels
- Help clients develop confidence and a positive attitude toward learning.
- Work with clients to develop study skills and time management techniques.
- Select materials and approaches that are suitable to the client’s skill level and needs and giving praise when the client is successful.
- Attend required trainings and meetings as required by VIP staff.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding student work, conversations, and records.
Time Commitment: Volunteers commit to at least one hour a week on a day that matches the volunteer's schedule. Tutoring occurs Monday - Friday between 2:00pm and 7:00pm at the VIP offices. We would like volunteers to commit to at least 6 months; however, the volunteer's schedule may change within that time period.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old
- Must be Live Scanned for fingerprints through the DOJ/FBI (VIP will conduct the check for volunteers).
- Volunteers must pass a drug test.
- Show Proof of clear TB skin test within last 6 months
- Volunteers must be friendly, reliable, responsible, and trustworthy
Benefits: Help our kids succeed in school;Derive satisfaction from giving back to others; helping to resolve a limiting factor in the life of a client; learn new skills in teaching and tutoring techniques; develop a deeper understanding of different values and lifestyles; fun; increased understanding of working with children and youth; increased understanding of issues facing underserved youth.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- At least 1 hour per week