Be a Volunteer Tutor for At-Risk Children
290 people are interested
Since 1984, Violence Intervention Program (VIP) has been a national leader in building transformative programs that raise the standard of care for all victims of child abuse in Los Angeles County. VIP is a non-profit, hospital-based program located at the LAC USC Medical Center in East Los Angeles. Our mission is to protect and treat all victims of violence, and serves over 20,000 victims of violence annually through medical, mental health and supportive services.
Project Description: The VIP program offers our child clients (5-18 years old) with tutoring services to assist in their educational success.
Volunteer Role & Responsibilities: Volunteers serve as tutors to the kids in our program providing them with weekly academic help. As a volunteer tutor, you support our clients in building their confidence and achieving their academic goals and aspirations. VIP tutors will:
- Develop and establish a good rapport with assigned clients.
- Commit to a client for a one hour weekly tutoring session
- Work with clients to complete assignments and improve academic skills in a variety of subject areas and grade levels
- Help clients develop confidence and a positive attitude toward learning.
- Work with clients to develop study skills and time management techniques.
- Select materials and approaches that are suitable to the client’s skill level and needs and giving praise when the client is successful.
- Attend required trainings and meetings as required by VIP staff.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding student work, conversations, and records.
Time Commitment: Volunteers commit to at least one hour a week on a day that matches the volunteer's schedule. Tutoring occurs Monday - Friday between 2:00pm and 7:00pm at the VIP offices. We would like volunteers to commit to at least 6 months; however, the volunteer's schedule may change within that time period.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old
- Must be Live Scanned for fingerprints through the DOJ/FBI (VIP will conduct the check for volunteers).
- Volunteers must pass a drug test.
- Show Proof of clear TB skin test within last 6 months
- Volunteers must be friendly, reliable, responsible, and trustworthy
Benefits: Help our kids succeed in school;Derive satisfaction from giving back to others; helping to resolve a limiting factor in the life of a client; learn new skills in teaching and tutoring techniques; develop a deeper understanding of different values and lifestyles; fun; increased understanding of working with children and youth; increased understanding of issues facing underserved youth.
We'll work with your schedule.
1721 Griffin AvenueLos Angeles, CA 90031
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- At least 1 hour per week