Help refugees learn English! Become a Vocational and English Language Training Intern!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where4419 N Ravenswood AveChicago, IL 60640
*Please note: Summer internships are filled. Please apply for Fall 2015.*
- Assisting teachers in English Language Training (ELT) and Vocational English classes, including tutoring and/or teaching students.
- Creating and implementing programs and activities for ELT and Vocational English students.
- Mentoring ELT and/or Vocational English students.
- Assisting with job-readiness training and employer outreach for ELT and Vocational English students.
- Working with individuals and groups on job-readiness skills including interviewing techniques, filling out job applications, and workplace culture orientations.
- Database entry.
- Assessment and reporting of program participant needs.
- Creation and maintenance of job upgrade and career plan forms.
- Assisting with the delivery of supplemental instruction courses to program participants.
- Helping with other projects, reports, and administrative tasks as necessary.
- 15-40 hours per week availability
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Interest in working with refugees in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and multi-ethnic environment.
- Patience and flexibility.
- Computer proficiency.
- Some knowledge of ESL and teaching or tutoring experience is helpful.
- Language proficiency in Amharic, Arabic, Burmese etc, French, Kirundi, Kinyarwanda, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Turkish, and Uzbek is preferred, but not required.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-40 hours a week