Blue Lagoon & Coral Reef Monitoring Project, Mauritius
5 people are interested
Become a marine conservation volunteer on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean and take part in a coral reef monitoringvolunteer programme. The Blue Lagoon and Coral Reef Monitoring programme focuses on the protection, preservation and restoration of the marine and coastal environment for the region of Blue Bay and Pointe d’Esny, Mauritius. We are looking for volunteers to get involved in a range of projects for between 1 week and 6 months. There is also the opportunity for long term internship management positions available for 6 month durations.
The projects involve:
- Lagoon Monitoring (coral and fish monitoring and recording all human activities which take place within the lagoon);
- Beach and Mangrove Cleaning and Monitoring;
- Providing a number of actions to build local community support (questionnaire survey, events, in-school lessons for children).
As a volunteer you will:
- Gain a sound understanding of the marine ecosystem.
- Identify various coral, fish and benthic species distributed around the oceans of Mauritius. Training will be given through various theoretical and practical workshops.
- Investigate current anthropogenic issues that impact the ecosystem of corals reefs both globally and within the local area of Blue Bay and Mauritius. The programme will then look at current conservation strategies, which can used to manage and control the addressed issues.
- Enable volunteers to implement up to date research, through the practical application of current methodologies, which assess both fish and benthic abundance. These methodologies will be applied using both snorkeling and scuba diving techniques.
We'll work with your schedule.
Pointe D’EsnyMahebourg, NAMauritius
- Must be at least 18