At Allay Hospice, our goal is to ensure that those with a life-limiting illness live each day to the fullest in comfort and dignity. Allay Companion Volunteers personalize, support & enhance our patients' lives by bringing the gift of friendship through regular visits with our patients.
These volunteers offer...
- Companionship by just being there and offering to read, play music or a game, share stories and memories, taking a walk, or providing assistance with other non-medical tasks. There are also times to simply sit quietly with a patient (or family member) to let them know that they are not alone.
- Emotional Support by listening to one's life story, allowing the expression of feelings, holding a hand, giving a needed hug, and offering words of comfort.
- Respite Care by staying with the patient while the family caregiver enjoys a moment alone to run errands, make appointments or simply take the time to care for themselves.
Hospice Companions give the greatest gift of all - themselves!
The amount of time you give is flexible and scheduled around your availability. Volunteers are paired with patients within or near their own community.
Companion Volunteers receive training regarding the philosophy of hospice, the role of the volunteer and other staff members, as well as, helpful skills in caring for and communicating with hospice patients and their families.
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Hospice Care
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible hours, scheduled around your availability