DONATE TO THIS
17 people are interested
Glasshouse Horticulture Assistant
ORGANIZATION: Cleveland Botanical Garden
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
17 people are interested
The Glasshouse offers a thrilling year-round escape to the fantastic spiny desert of Madagascar and the butterfly-filled rainforest of Costa Rica. The Glasshouse features 350 species of exotic plants and 50 different types of butterflies, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. The Glasshouse is unique among conservatories because it shows how plants, animals, geology, and climate interact in delicate balance.
Glasshouse Horticulture Assistants help with cleaning, maintenance, and plant care of the Glasshouse biomes and other plants in the Botanical Garden building.
- Support staff and serve as a positive representative of Holden Forests & Gardens
- Follow supervisor instructions to complete tasks
- Daily preparation of rainforest and desert biomes
- Sweep fallen leaves from paths, stairs, and canopy. Wash paths and leaves using 50’ hose and various spray attachments.
- Irrigate canopy epiphytes and main-floor epiphytes, ferns and other selected plants using 50’ hose and various spray attachments
- Spread grit on slippery surfaces, collect fallen leaves from path borders, and collect and collate animal and plant identification pamphlets
- Depending on work season, other tasks could be detail composting, cleaning perimeter ventilation screens, etc.
- Ensure that all equipment is cleaned and put away in proper location
- Maintain the safety of people, plants, and animals
- Attend trainings, orientations, or clinics as required
- Additional related tasks as needed
Qualifications, Skills and Characteristics:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have familiarity with gardening and gardening tools, as well as some basic mechanical experience
- Physical ability necessary to complete tasks which may involve bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, lifting/carrying up to 20 pounds, using basic tools, etc.
- Must be willing to learn information and procedures relevant to plant care in the biomes
- Willingness to get a little wet and dirty
- Ability to do detail work
- Ability to listen to and follow supervisor instructions
- Good communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of exotic plants or animals is welcome but not required
- Demonstrate reliability, punctuality, and ability to adapt if needed
- Demonstrate respect for the diversity of people and nature
More opportunities with Cleveland Botanical Garden
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Cleveland Botanical Garden
11030 East Boulevard, Cleveland, OH 44106, US
Holden Forests & Gardens connects people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities.
Holden Forests & Gardens Cleveland Botanical Garden campus is a not-for-profit organization established to promote the knowledge and appreciation of horticulture and gardening. The Cleveland Botanical Garden is committed to: - Providing information, education and training in horticulture, gardening, botany, floral arts, landscape design and horticultural therapy. - Offering to the public, for its use and enjoyment, collections of plants, display gardens, a horticultural library and facilities for meetings, programs and special events. - Promoting community interest and involvement in the beautification of the landscape and conservation of the environment.
11030 East BoulevardCleveland Botanical GardenCleveland, OH 44106
January 4, 2023
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Regular schedule, a weekly commitment preferred. Dawn Patrol shifts are 7 – 10am, Tuesday-Saturday and 9am-Noon on Sunday. Year-round commitment is preferred but a seasonal commitment (i.e. spring, summer, fall/winter) is workable.
- New volunteers must complete online orientation and application, along with an interview with staff. Volunteers must be vaccinated for COVID-19.