Shoppers!! We need people who can support the health and nutrition of older adults by shopping with or for them.
As a Project Linkage SHOPPING ASSISTANTvolunteer with Metropolitan Family Service, you will be matched with an older adult to support their shopping needs. Volunteers may elect to shop for their person or to accompany them to the store to provide hands-on support.
This is a once/week commitment or every other week.
All volunteers receive special training in providing services to older adults.
You must provide information for a criminal background check. If you elect to drive an older adult to the store, you will receive additional safe driver and mobility training.
Volunteer Benefits :
- Regular training and skill-building events
- Great program staff support
- The knowledge that your work has improved the client's quality of life
- Communication:Ablity to listen attentively and initiate conversation, excellent driving skills, patience while shopping.
- Knowledge of population:Volunteer role requires sensitivity to the needs of isolated older adults facing difficult life circumstances
- Volunteers must submit a criminal background check form and program application.
- All volunteers participate in an orientation session and will be offered additional training opportunities throughout the year.
- Because the relationship that forms is an important form of support for clients, volunteers are asked to commit to 6 months of service.--
MFS invests in individuals and families that struggle with the many barriers associated with cultural and economic disparities including - inadequate education, health issues, isolation, unemployment, and poverty.
We are dedicated to building stronger communities by providing services, connecting people with resources, and offering volunteer opportunities throughout the Portland, Oregon region.
- People Skills
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 23
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly or every other week