St. Lucy’s Shelter is a supervised 24-hour, 7-day-a-week, year-round emergency shelter for single women and men offering emergency housing and food for those in need.
Volunteers play an important role in changing the lives of people in need by preparing meals for the residents, and helping sort and distribute food.
When you arrive sign-in at the front desk and tell them you are a Jersey Cares Volunteer. You will be directed to the food pantry to sort as needed and then at 5pm you will serve food in the cafeteria. The Chef has a very specific process, please follow her guidance. She will provide you with gloves and an apron before service begins. Enjoy and have fun meeting new people!
As you are serving meals please interact with guests in conversation and clear their tables as needed. Second servings will be at 5:30, only if food is remaining from the initial serving.
Volunteers will be deployed as follows:
- Food Servers (2-3)
- Beverage Servers (1-2)
- Greeter (1-2)
- General Help (1)
NOTE: To participate in this project
you must be a Jersey Cares volunteer.
To sign up as a Jersey Cares volunteer:
1. Visit www.jerseycares.org
2. Click on "Log-In"
3. Click on "Not a Member? Register"
4. Fill out all necessary information.
5. Register for a project!
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Marketplace in East Brunswick
- Plant it Forward in Newark
- Mobile Meals in Paterson
- Plant it Forward in Clifton
- Donation Clean Up in Belmar
- Pet Therapy in Morristown
- Mobile Meals in Elizabeth
- Computer Essentials in Elizabeth
- Donation Delivery in Belmar
- Plant it Forward in Montclair...
- Earth Keepers in Jersey City...
- Hunger Helpers in Camden
- Earth Keepers in Watchung...
- Bingo Time with Veterans in...
- Kiddy Care in Madison
- Marketplace in Paterson
- Book Buddies in Wayne
- Hunger Helpers in Hoboken
- Earth Keepers in Manchester
- Behind the Scenes with Jersey...