Positive Alternative to Shelter Surrender (PASS) In-Person Counselor
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
78 people are interested
Making Dallas a No-Kill city is a big job and as a volunteer-based organization, we need a lot of great volunteers to do it. As a PASS In-Person Volunteer, you'll help keep animals in their homes by seeking alternatives with citizens who feel they need to surrender their pets to the shelter.
Reports to: The PASS Director
Works with: This opportunity would involve interaction with the general public, other PASS volunteers, the PASS Director, shelter employees and other members of Dallas Pets Alive! (DPA) leadership.
- Assisting citizens who are at-risk for surrendering their pets to Dallas Animal Services, by seeking alternatives (i.e. low-cost vet care, training, temporary boarding solutions, rehoming resources, etc.)
- If animals are surrendered, communicating with DPA Rescue team to network for potential DPA fosters
- Entering information about citizens and animals assisted in tracking system
- Following up with citizens as needed
- Assisting with any other duties needed to help drive Dallas Pets Alive!’s mission and support our values
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Ability to attend PASS online training is required before volunteering
- Must exhibit compassion for individuals considering surrender of their pet
- Google Drive experience preferred but not required
- Counseling, social work or rescue experience helpful
- Bilingual language ability helpful but not required
- Must not have conflicting associations with similar non-profit organizations or business(es) related to animal welfare
Dallas Pets Alive! Musts:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to maintain professional level correspondence at all times
- A motivational, can-do attitude to represent Dallas Pets Alive! in a positive manner to our supporters and the general public
- A problem-solving mindset to handle and diffuse challenging situations in a professional manner
- A love for animals and dedication to the cause of animal welfare
About Dallas Pets Alive!
11700 Preston Road Suite 660, Dallas, TX 75230, US
At Dallas Pets Alive, our mission is to promote and provide the resources, education and programs needed to eliminate the killing of companion animals.
We are implementing innovative and progressive programs in Dallas after studying the best practices of other cities (most notably Austin, Texas). We are currently focused on helping the healthy and treatable pets who are at risk of being killed in the Dallas Animal Services, by rescuing the pets that are at the greatest risk and helping owners who are having problems so great that they need to surrender their pet(s) to a shelter.
In our rescue program, we do not duplicate work of other agencies. We focus solely on the pets who have already been passed over by other groups and the Dallas Animal Services’ adoption programs that only take the healthy and treatable pets who are about to be killed and have no other options.
We'll work with your schedule.
1818 N Westmoreland RoadDallas, TX 75212
- People Skills
- Animal Care / Handling
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Social Work
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours per month