Positive Alternative to Shelter Surrender (PASS) Program
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
81 people are interested
Help keep animals from entering the shelter system by providing support and alternatives to families who are considering taking their pet(s) to the shelter. This role will allow you to be involved in-person at Dallas Animal Services.
In this highly rewarding opportunity, you will:
- Consult with citizens who are at-risk for surrendering their pets, and seek alternatives (i.e. low-cost vet care, training, temporary boarding solutions, re-homing resources, etc.)
- Network for potential foster parents for animals who do end up surrendered, in partnership with our Rescue Team
- Input information about citizens and pets assisted into our tracking system
- Build and maintain relationships with our citizens, being sure to follow-up on progress as needed
- Assist with any other duties needed to help drive our mission and support our values
Works with: The general public, other PASS volunteers, the PASS Director, shelter employees and members of Dallas Pets Alive! (DPA) leadership.Qualifications/Skills:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Ability to attend PASS online training is required before volunteering
- Must exhibit compassion for individuals considering surrender of their pet
- Google Drive experience preferred but not required
- Counseling, social work or rescue experience helpful
- Bilingual language ability helpful but not required
- Must not have conflicting associations with similar non-profit organizations or business(es) related to animal welfare
Dallas Pets Alive! Musts:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to maintain professional level correspondence at all times
- A motivational, can-do attitude to represent Dallas Pets Alive! in a positive manner to our supporters and the general public
- A problem-solving mindset to handle and diffuse challenging situations in a professional manner
- A love for animals and dedication to the cause of animal welfare
About Dallas Pets Alive!
Dallas Pets Alive! (DPA) is run mostly by volunteers, and all of our pets are housed by dedicated foster families throughout North Texas. We rescue and help the healthy and treatable pets at greatest risk for euthanasia at our partner shelters. We also provide assistance and resources to pet owners having problems so significant that they need to surrender their pets to a shelter. Here at DPA, we believe that adoption is not only the right thing to do but THE thing to do.
Volunteering makes a huge impact - for you and homeless pets!
- You will make a lasting difference in many animals' lives
- Volunteering is good for your emotional, physical, and mental health
- You will grow personally and professionally, and learn new skills
- You will make connections with amazing, like-minded people
About Dallas Pets Alive!
11700 Preston Road Suite 660, Dallas, TX 75230, US
At Dallas Pets Alive, our mission is to promote and provide the resources, education and programs needed to eliminate the killing of companion animals.
We are implementing innovative and progressive programs in Dallas after studying the best practices of other cities (most notably Austin, Texas). We are currently focused on helping the healthy and treatable pets who are at risk of being killed in the Dallas Animal Services, by rescuing the pets that are at the greatest risk and helping owners who are having problems so great that they need to surrender their pet(s) to a shelter.
In our rescue program, we do not duplicate work of other agencies. We focus solely on the pets who have already been passed over by other groups and the Dallas Animal Services’ adoption programs that only take the healthy and treatable pets who are about to be killed and have no other options.
We'll work with your schedule.
1818 N Westmoreland RoadDallas, TX 75212
- People Skills
- Animal Care / Handling
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Social Work
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours per month