Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Community for Youth inspires and supports youth to identify and achieve their goals through mentoring, learning experiences and participation in a powerful community .
About Community for Youth
Community for Youth transforms high school students who are struggling - with school, with family, with their direction in life - into young adults who have confidence, determination and self-awareness. Supported by a community of adult mentors who are relentlessly committed to their success, teenagers learn to make thoughtful choices, fulfill their commitments, acknowledge their mistakes and account for their actions. By taking control of their lives, students realize they can achieve more than they ever dreamed possible.
What We Do
Community for Youth is a mentoring and development program that pairs students from three Seattle high schools - Cleveland, Rainier Beach and Chief Sealth - with adults who commit to helping them succeed in school and in life. Each year, some 170 students participate in the program, which begins in their freshman year. Many students remain in the program throughout their four years of high school.
How We Do It
In addition to fostering strong one-on-one relationships between students and mentors, Community for Youth builds a strong community of students and mentors who support each other. Through mentoring and participation in small groups, activities, workshops and retreats, s tudents identify and achieve their goals. They learn what it means to make a commitment, participate fully, solve problems, handle mistakes, build trust and keep their promises. CfY places a strong emphasis on being accountable for one's actions, setting and achieving goals, building healthy relationships and developing integrity.
What Makes Community for Youth Unique
- We build a community of support for students and mentors
- We teach and instill core concepts focused on personal growth and accountability
- Students and mentors are involved in the selection of their match
- We place a strong emphasis on mentor training and support
- We place a staff member in each of our schools during the school day.
How We Got Here
Community for Youth was founded in 1985 by a group Seattle residents who were concerned about the number of young people who were dropping out of high school and heading to jail. The group was committed to the idea that all students, if given the support of a dedicated community of adults and peers, could complete high school successfully and become productive members of our community. Today, CfY is the largest youth development/mentoring program in the Seattle high school system .
- 98% graduation rate (compared to 70% of Seattle Public School students)
- 83% of our students positively changed their behavior and/or achieved their goal
- 86% believe they gained a sense of personal accountability
- 93% of our students report they benefited from the program
- 97% feel connected to the community