Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Serving orphans, widows and the poor in Russia
Our mission is to -
- Provide social services to orphans, elderly and the poor
- Encourage faith communities and organizations in building communities of compassion
- Cut through racial, cultural, social and denominational barriers, bringing people to work together
- God has a special interest and love for orphans, widows and the poor.
- There is tremendous need to minister to orphans in Russia
(An "orphan" - abandoned to the state, including "social orphan" with parent still living)
- There are over 4 million orphans and homeless children in Russia and Ukraine. Officially, there are 700,000 orphans living in 2,000 state-run orphanages in Russia alone. That means that Russia has more orphans today than after World War II! Statistics show that only one out of ten Russian orphans becomes a functional member of society. At age 18, children are forced to leave the orphanages with little or no formal schooling, very limited life skills, and no one to turn to for assistance. Within the first year of leaving the orphanage, over 50% are involved in prostitution or crime, another 30% are addicted to drugs or alcohol, and another 10% commit suicide. Millions of Russian children are on the run; living on the streets or in underground sewers desperately needing basic food, medicine and clothes.
- Russia has one of the fastest growing AIDS epidemics in the world, with 100 new infections every day. Increasingly, women and their infants are being affected.
- Latest figures show 22,000 babies have been born to HIV-positive women. And many are being abandoned by their mothers into the care of the state.
Serving orphans, widows and the poor in Russia ----
WHAT WE DO
- Connect churches, universities and faith organizations cross-culturally, to work together to build communities of compassion.
- Minister to orphans and at risk children, who have been impacted by abuse, neglect and abandonment.
- Establish long-term relationships with the orphanages and the children in their care by visiting the children on a weekly basis.
- Be a facilitator for Christians, Churches and Universities to minister to orphans in their distress through mission trips, volunteer and giving opportunites, both monetary and in-kind.
- Provide humanitarian aid to enhance the quality of life for orphans and at risk children.
- Host international teams and interns who work in orphanages, street centers, organize summer camps and give emotional, spiritual and material support to orphans and at risk children.
- Tatiana Mendakoff
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!