Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Read to Grow is a statewide nonprofit working to improve early literacy for all Connecticut children by:
- providing books
- helping fmailies share books with their babies beginning at birth
- encouraging language developemnt
- promoting an awareness of existing literacy resources
Our message is that by reading with and talking to children beginning at birth, parents can strengthen their family and help their younsters develop the early literacy skills they will neeed to succeed in school, and in life.
Read to Grow meets families in the hospital when a baby is born, linking health to the importance of early literacy, language and attachment. Our programs run in 8 hospitals and in four regions (New Haven, Hartford, Bridgeport and New London) of the state.
- Books for Babies , providing 20,000 newborns with a new children's book and literacy guidance. The Follow-up program provides additional children's books and information for parents twice druing a baby's first year of life for families enrolled in the program.
- Books for Kids provides new and gently used books to children who need them, and to the programs that serve them. Last year, 100,000 books were donated to Read to Grow and redistributed through Books for Kids.